South American pufferfish Colomesus asellus

Dan but not danio
Been liked: 5 times

Hello!
Honestly all I'm asking for is for someone with a/who has had a SAP in a community tank to clarify if what the article says is true, I'm not willing to put my fish at risk of being injured etc by a bad decision I've made because I really want some kind of puffer.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebinde ... tNeale.htm

In short the article is saying because they lay eggs and leave they're unlike the others as they will not become territorial over that and just genuinely seem to always be on the move which is the opposite of every other puffer resulting in them not being so vicious..

Also if anyone could recommend a puffer they have that's fine in an aquarium with other fish I'd really appreciate that.

Figure the best bet is to literally ask for first hand experience over trusting articles and I have had some bad advice given to me by most fish shops and some point so I find it hard to believe what they're saying

Fish list
6 X cardinal tetra
4 X female fighters
4 X bristlenose
1 X Otto
2 X dwarf gourami
Whole bunch of shrimp I'm not fussed about becoming food
Tank
123L fluval flex
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Greetings. :]

Not to sure about Puffers, sure someone here will have an inflated answer. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
I'd be very wary of puffers in anything but a species-only tank.
Anything with teeth, and puffers have bigger teeth than most other fish, is likely to cause a problem at some stage.
A tankful of them would be pretty awesome though. :)
Dan but not danio
Been liked: 5 times

Thanks guys, also here is a picture of my tank, had it running a month
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

plankton wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 20:42 pm Welcome to the forum. :)
I'd be very wary of puffers in anything but a species-only tank.
Anything with teeth, and puffers have bigger teeth than most other fish, is likely to cause a problem at some stage.
A tankful of them would be pretty awesome though. :)
Same as really. Species only tank is your best bet. Even if they can't eat the other fish, they will try and nibble on their fins.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

The article itself states they can be fin nippers. And if my eyes don't deceive me, you've got two dwarf gouramis in there, which would then be the obvious target.

Also, this is second hand experience, when I was young our neighbour got a puffer fish to deal with the snails in his tank (like people do with clown loaches nowadays). Unfortunately, the puffer hadn't read the job description and very quickly took aim at the livebearers' eyes. He went back to the shop pretty pronto.