Hard Water Shrimp

BIGFISH
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 58 times

I woul like to keep shrimp but keep reading they need soft slightly acidic water to thrive. I live in London and my tap water is hard as nails and soft as concrete!
Can someone please tell me if there are any shrimp that will thrive in my water?
Gill
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 13 times

I have fairly hard water here in the Midlands and have Amano shrimp, I’ve had them a few months now and they seem to be thriving.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Not a problem, I live forty miles east of you. My tap water is PH 7.8 to 8.2 and I have more Cherry Shrimp than I know what do with. My Amano Shrimp have never complained either. As long as your NO2, NH3/4 are zero and your NO3 is no more than 10ppm any Neocaridina Shrimp or Amano Shrimp will be fine, although I will say my planted tanks have been as much 20ppm NO3 with no adverse effects to shrimp or fishes. I know Tiger Shrimp and especially Crystal Red Shrimp which prefer soft water with a PH of less than 7 so high tech CO2 planted for them to thrive.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Exactly as Martin has said.
Neocaridina - hard water
Caridina - soft water
At least thats how I basically remember it :D