Assassin snails

robert1305

At what stage in their life does their appetite for eating snails develop, I recently purchased an A/snail, I received 3, 2 very tiny ones and 1 what I would call a teenager LOL.
The 2 tiny ones slithered off never to be seen again, the other one gets around the tank all the time, when he encounters a bladder, or, ramshorn snail he either slithers over it or goes round it.
Will it develop an urge later , to eat I mean !!!

Regards Bob
Baddams
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 91 times

Are you sure they're Assassins?
My three were all fully grown when I got them and they pretty much cleared my tank in a week.
Sorry, that doesn't answer your question.
Cheltgirl
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 14 times

Can you upload a picture?
500L Sooperhooge Goldfish tank :)
200L The Barbarium….Tiger barbs and a very grumpy BN plec
200L Marine Reef.....stocking in progress!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5033 times
Been liked: 3395 times

They don't get that big, and I thought they tended to go ninja when quite young?
So, pic required I think...... :)
robert1305

They are definitely assassin snails, exact replica of an adult, sick of suppliers who advertise things with pics that show adult snails and when they arrive they are pin heads.
I have finished giving OK feedbacks, they will get what they deserve.
The adult assassin gets to a good inch, these that I received were less than 1/4"

Regards Bob
lunar jetman
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 122 times

robert1305 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 am They are definitely assassin snails, exact replica of an adult, sick of suppliers who advertise things with pics that show adult snails and when they arrive they are pin heads.
I have finished giving OK feedbacks, they will get what they deserve.
The adult assassin gets to a good inch, these that I received were less than 1/4"

Regards Bob
I acquired some recently. A supplier I've been using decided to stop stocking livestock so when I went to pick the fish up (5 Bristlenose Plecos) I was offered 3 Assassin Snails for free. They were about 1/2" in size and when I put them in my tank they seemed to burrow into the sand and disappear. I think I've seen one of them once briefly since then!
311l 48x18x22

KevB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 270 times

I've had a bit of a population explosion recently, counted 10 babies at one point though most seem to have disappeared. I expect some may be predated by the adults as I don't have any pest snails. They always come out and crawl up the glass for a bit after a water change but I see them pottering around fairly often. I have noticed that since getting 3 reasonably big M trifasciata that the amano shrimp are much less active during lights-on periods, i don't think they trust them!
jacksdad
Posting Legend
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 272 times

I've had a quick Google. Seems the assassins bury themselves into the substrate, then pounce when a meal crawls past. Couldn't find any info on how much they eat or frequency, but it appears they go for trumpet snails more than others.