Bolivian rams and snails

Blockhead
Been liked: 1 time

Hi. Just wondering. Would Bolivian rams be ok with mystery snails? Is there a snail they could live with?

Does the Mystery snail clean algae better than the Malaysian trumpet snail?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Dominic :D
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Rams and snails are ok together, some loaches and assassins snails are the main predators for snails as far as im aware.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Malaysian Trumpet snails are good for keeping a sand substrate clean, you'll find they bury themselves during the day. It is said because of their borrowing in the sand it prevents anaerobic gas building up in the substrate.

I will warn you they are a breeding nuisance, once established you'll find that if you shine a torch into your tank at night the glass, substrate, plants, rocks and wood will be covered in them, there will be hundreds of them.

Personally while I found they were a reasonably good algae eaters they are also very good at decimating delicate plants at night.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Mystery snails are pretty big, they are closely related to Apple snails I think.
They are possibly more likely to eat plants than MTS, my MTS (and I have hundreds, maybe thousands) only eat dying plants.