Snails - who and why?

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4196 times

Time for opinions. Might be a bad idea asking but lets see anyway.
Snails snails snails!

So what do people keep and why?
I'm looking at keeping on top of the algae at the back of the tank, its a light dusting but a pain to get behind the plants and the Nerite in my other tank seems to be on permanent leave from work ( I've seen him move around, but not eat the algae! )

I don't mind having loads of snails as i do like my tanks to be more natural, so breeding isn't an issue, and i don't overfeed so tend not to get a massive explosion of bladders etc.

So what do you all recommend?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

I only have Gary, Gary and baby Gary who are all assassins :D
I do find them entertaining, my OH not so much, but they’re not really helpful with algae...that seems to be Sarah’s job :D
Sorry not really helpful :D
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

Nerite snails are your best option for Algae eating on glass, other snails aren’t quite as busy.
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4196 times

I don't know if mines just old, or lazy! :D
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

Is he the only one in the tank? It might be that he is eating, its just that there is plenty of food to go around so he doesn't have to search for it!
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Malaysian Trumpets - only ever realised quite what a job they do with the algae when I got rid of them - and then see the glass cloud over in a couple of days... Downside is you need loads of them.
Stevieglasgow
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 127 times

I have only bladder and ramshorn snails, I only use them as a left over food clean up crew, and like I said a would not have an aquarium without the.As for algae, I feel very lucky not to have major issues with it, never really have I did have two nerite snails to clean up some rocks that got a little green last year and they did a great job within a few days then they disappeared never to be seen again, even the new tank no algae but I think that's down to very heavy planting.
Stevie
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5047 times
Been liked: 3421 times

I don't think it matters too much, MTS, bladders and ramshorns seem to keep it at a level, whereas nerites normally go to town.
The zebras and limpets were better than the horned and tyre tracks.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

I do not have snails.
When some snails (MTS) accidentally entered my aquarium (and multiplied) I emptied the aquarium and started again just to get rid of the snails.
That was quite costly as I have a 6 foot aquarium and the sand and plant substrate does not come cheap at those amounts.
It is my preference to be snail free and also the reason why I am choosy with my plant suppliers.
I either use Aquarium Gardens (1st choice) or Aqua Essentials (2nd choice), I do not have a 3rd choice.

In the past I have had some nerite snails as they don't breed in fresh water but they do lay lots of eggs.
I have even had some assassin snails in the past which are very attractive but do stink when they eventually die.

Why do I not want snails in my aquarium?
1. They can be unsightly especially when there are loads of snails, after all you want to display the fish.
2. They (in large numbers) can cause an imbalance in the aquarium and reduce the number of fish you can keep.
3. They can eat or nibble on plants making the plants look unsightly.
4. Dead snails can cause an ammonia spike, it is easier to spot and remove a dead fish than spot a dead snail.
5. Snails have the potential to bring infectious disease in to the aquarium and therefore potentially infect the fish.
6. Snails can potentially block the filtration system as they love to hide in filters which can jam the impeller and also potentially block inlet pipes.
7. The aquarium being a man-made enclosed system is not a natural system for snails unlike a river, stream, lake or pond. Snails do love an aquarium because we as aquarists do provide everything it needs including food.

Just my opinion

Stay safe & healthy everyone
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)