Is my shrimp pregnant?

Spencer

I'm new-ish to fishkeeping and I have a 50Ltr tropical tank.

I have 5 armano shrimp in it and one of them looks pregnant (I think) from what I've searched on google.

Can you guys help? I want to know if it is pregnant and if it is, then I can help it.

If it helps you guys, she has a dark brown saddle on her back and is the largest shrimp in the tank.

I've included pictures of when she is out of her favourite hiding spot but they're not the best.

codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

They need salt water to survive.
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

In the interests of disambiguation, CJ meant that it's the zoes (or hatchlings or larvae or babies - whatever you want to call them) and not the adult Amanos which generally require salt water in order to prosper.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

As above ( @Vale! post ) the shrimplets won't survive in freshwater. What happens is they are release near brackish streams/water in the wild as larvae, ( which the larvae/zoes require to hatch and survive ) and as they mature, head towards freshwater, which is where adults survive.

It's a very strange life cycle in the sense of babies can't survive in freshwater and adults can't survive in salt water!

Females will always carry eggs if there is a male around ( Females have dashes on their bodies and males have dots )
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

Today I learnt. Everyday is a school day on here.
Spencer

fr499y wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 15:45 pm As above ( @Vale! post ) the shrimplets won't survive in freshwater. What happens is they are release near brackish streams/water in the wild as larvae, ( which the larvae/zoes require to hatch and survive ) and as they mature, head towards freshwater, which is where adults survive.

It's a very strange life cycle in the sense of babies can't survive in freshwater and adults can't survive in salt water!

Females will always carry eggs if there is a male around ( Females have dashes on their bodies and males have dots )
Thanks for that! So would you say that she is pregnant from the pictures? I can't tell at all and if I know for definit that she is then I'll do my research on how to help them survive 👍
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

She is carrying, but from experience of trying... don’t bother lol.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5055 times
Been liked: 3424 times

i agree, don't bother to try.
I made 4 attempts to raise the zoes, all of which were a complete faff and waste of time...... :rolleyes:
It has (allegedly) been done, but, if it really has, then those people have the patience of several saints rolled into one!