How smart are snails?

FishyMcFishFace
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 100 times

Ok, ok, obviously they cant be that smart but today I noticed one of my assassins snails hadn't moved and was in the same spot for a good 12 hours. I panicked thinking he was dead and gave him a gentle tap. He was positioned in a little nook in some bog wood about 10 inches of the substrate. Clearly he was still alive and I could feel his displeasure at my gentle tap, less than 10 minutes later... he is RIGHT back in the same exact nook in the bog wood? Amazing little creatures. ::thumbu::
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra
2 Rams (1 blue, 1 golden (breeding))

... More to come...
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

Clearly had warmed a spot just right.
FishyMcFishFace

Ricrhys wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 22:13 pm Clearly had warmed a spot just right.
I pushed him right off it, I feel he wanted a different tank after that. ::eek::
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra

... More to come...
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Snails (assassin snails) can often become dormant and not move for hours or even days.
They will just stay dormant until they need to feed or sense food nearby.
They do not just eat other snails, they are opportunists that will eat anything that makes its way to the bottom of your tank.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
BAINBRIDGE
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

They get around quickly too. We have a single pest snail that arrived as a stowaway on the last batch of plants that I quickly managed to kill (I have the opposite of green fingers) and he's quite big now, one minute he's at the top of the glass and a few minutes later he'll be down on the substrate. Having written this, I've decided to call him Enzo.
Juwel Trigon 190:

5 Bronze Cory
1 Panda Cory
1 male BN Plec
9 Tiger barbs

Quarantine tank:

6 Tiger Barbs
5 Golden Wonder Panchax
FishyMcFishFace

BAINBRIDGE wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:48 am They get around quickly too. We have a single pest snail that arrived as a stowaway on the last batch of plants that I quickly managed to kill (I have the opposite of green fingers) and he's quite big now, one minute he's at the top of the glass and a few minutes later he'll be down on the substrate. Having written this, I've decided to call him Enzo.
Yeah thats what I love about the, I can casually look over and say "oh hey there little snail", look away and look back and he s gone.

Maybe a silly question is there ANY big snails that can live with assassins? And how big can assassins live for?
Aquamanta 90L Nano
6 Cardinal Tetra
4 Pepper Cory
6 Galaxy Rasbora
6 Amber Tetra

... More to come...
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3410 times

Assassins will eat larger snails, the clue is in their common name "assassin".
They generally live for around 2 years.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)