Eye Injury - Bolivian Ram

Jonathan

Hi All

I’ve recently set up a new tank with currently has 4 Emperor Tetra, a Bristlenose and 2 Bolivian Rams.

I came back from work the other day and noticed the left eye on one of the Rams looked injured. Since then, the ‘injury’ seems to have got bigger - see pictures, probably easier than trying to explain.

The fish itself doesn’t appear to be distressed and it’s behaviour doesn’t seem to changed significantly (although I hadn’t had them that long when it happened). It’s still eating ok and swimming round, chasing the other Ram.

Is there anything I can/should do?

Thanks

scoobiemandan
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

I'm hazarding agues here that it is indeed an injury that has become infected (quite severely)!

Consider a meth blue bath and treating the tank with something like Myxazin.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Greetings. :]

Think you need to isolate him and start a course of treatment. ;)
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

Welcome to the forum. :)

Ouch! Yes, I agree, treat in a hospital tank. The damage has become infected, and you don't want any of the other fish pecking at it.
Is there anything sharp in the tank he/she may have caught it on?

Prepare yourself for it to lose that eye. They can survive well in a tank with only one eye (over the years I've had a few fish with only one eye). Keep the water as clean as you can.
Jonathan

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got some anti-bacterial treatment and ordered some methylene blue off the internet as my local shop didn’t have any in.

I’ve got some bogwood in the tank but nothing obviously sharp. Hopefully it’ll clear up, whether is loses the eye or not - my main concern is that it’s not in any distress or pain. It demolished some bloodworms before, so it’s still got an appetite!