Tail split?

jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

Another cherry barb related question

Is this guy's split tail anything to worry about? He's still chasing the girls about and I've seen them rubbing on eachother (assuming this is spawning behaviour)

I'm guessing he's been nipped by the other male in there who is a bit more aggressive and tends to guard a patch of vallis

Any treatment necessary or will it heal?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Redpanda
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 854 times
Been liked: 284 times

I had angelfish with split tail, never seen it before , but it healed in couple of days , I suppose just keep an eye on it ..
Tycho
Has liked: 361 times
Been liked: 156 times

My male krib has had a small split a few time and has always healed okay... I alway do a couple of small water changes when I notice it and add a bit of melafix.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

What @Tycho said. ;)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Unfortunately I use to find Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya) males can get very boisterous with the females.
Best to keep at least a 1:3 ratio I found with this Barb. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
jammedfool

Thanks all,

I have no melafix but was asking in another post for hospital /first aid kit recommendations so guessing this is a good treatment? Seen on many posts.. also Esha was mentioned (see other post though)

@Martinspuddle I got 6 originally a ratio of 1:1 as the store made a mistake, but one male didn't do so well so I exchanged and now have 1:2. The one in the pic is a male I believe and just gets chased off by the slightly larger and brighter male (they have definitely both been at the girls! I've seen eggs scattered a few times during a brief embrace).
A lot of the time this one with the split tail is doing his thing and then the other breaks things up
Are you saying the lack of females is driving the chase against the other male?

Will add melafix to the list anyway...
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 1824 times

It might be the photo angle but that looks female to me. Much more brown on top and whiter belly.

I have 1 female and (until today) 7 males. Chasing on/off as they established territories. Not so much chasing now they’re in the 240L (today’s death was getting stuck between filter and the glass and I must have missed it happening by minutes). I’m keeping on top of water quality and any wee fin nips have healed very quickly. The female only gets chased when she’s ready to spawn, otherwise they do a bit of bickering amongst themselves but never in a way that seems like a weaker male is getting picked on
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4245 times
Been liked: 3908 times

jammedfool wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 22:38 pm Thanks all,

I have no melafix but was asking in another post for hospital /first aid kit recommendations so guessing this is a good treatment? Seen on many posts.. also Esha was mentioned (see other post though)

@Martinspuddle I got 6 originally a ratio of 1:1 as the store made a mistake, but one male didn't do so well so I exchanged and now have 1:2. The one in the pic is a male I believe and just gets chased off by the slightly larger and brighter male (they have definitely both been at the girls! I've seen eggs scattered a few times during a brief embrace).
A lot of the time this one with the split tail is doing his thing and then the other breaks things up
Are you saying the lack of females is driving the chase against the other male?

Will add melafix to the list anyway...
In the wild where unfortunately very few are left in their native to Sri Lanka, male Cherry Barbs are known to have harems of females which the vigorously defend from rival males.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
jammedfool

All healed! He hasnt stopped spawning activity and seems to be more successful with the ladies than the brighter, more aggressive one, he does seem more gentle xD
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss