Strange Endler

Stapo
Been liked: 3 times

Hi,
My endlers had fry and one grew to look like this. The others are normal looking females and small orange males but this one looks very different. The batch were bred from the normal tiny orange male endlers and a female similar to the one in the top pic so this has me scratching my head! Can anyone explain why it looks so different from my other males and females?

Thanks.

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

That isn’t an endler, its a rainbow fish.
Not sure what type it is, i’d guess dwarf neon.
Stapo

Thanks for the reply. That's insane. I just googled rainbow fish and it seems they lay their eggs in plants. I bought some more plants for my tanks as my endlers were going to give birth. I can only guess that a rainbow egg was on one if the plants and hatched around the same time as the endlers gave birth. Is this common? I'm chuffed though as I now have a new species in my tank! Are there any special requirements I should be aware of to help it thrive? It's currently in a 55 litre tank, lots of plants, two Angels, two Dwarf Gouramis, a Molly and a Pleco.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Its highly possible if the plants have been in a tank with rainbows at some point.
Rainbows are fairly unfussy with regards to foods, they do have small throats for their size (although there was a recent incident on here that was quite shocking) some species do need a minimum 4ft tank as they are active fish and enjoy swimming full speed (check out KevB’s tank log :) ). They also like to be in a group but with your current stock that would be overstocked (i think your close if not overstocked now). A few species also prefer warmer temps as a lot come from around Australia :)
Stapo

Thanks for the info. Looks like I've a good excuse now to get a bigger tank.👍
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Don't forget to start a tank log and pics :D