Mol_PMB's Maldivian Biotope

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your tanks. - Tank Logs - For the marine keepers!
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

OK, I’ve done it!
Currently running with just some oddments of old dry rock from the long-closed 120L (which have been previously well soaked in RO).
Once it has mixed and warmed up, I’ll add a scoop of sand and a purple rock from the 40L, and leave it for a couple of weeks. Might throw in a piece of macro algae too.

Mol_PMB

After a week away I came back to find significant evaporation which I have topped up with RO. There is also some initial colour on some of the rocks which is probably diatoms.
Today I picked up the background image and an Eheim heater. Tomorrow I’ll get these installed, then fit the plumbing to connect the tank and sump.

I have also ordered 20kg of Marco Rock and 4kg of the ‘prime cuts’ flat pieces. Hopefully this will be enough for the scape in the main tank, together with the bits currently in the sump.

At present I’m thinking of representing part of a Porites boulder which has become colonised by some other types of coral, a bit like this:

Watch this space for pics once I have the scape set up!

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4203 times

Should be interesting if you do go that route!
Mol_PMB

The Marco Rock has arrived! I like it, very porous and some useful shapes.

I got a few pieces with a face cut flat, which can be positioned against the glass. Also some milliput to stick it together, and a bottle of bacteria. I’m also using some bits of rock transferred from my 40L tank which should contribute some more variety of microscopic critters.

This Marco Rock is mined from ancient coral reef strata now miles from the coast. It’s fairly cheap compared to live rocks or other rock substitutes, but looks pretty genuine.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

what do the cut edges look like? be interesting to see a pic to compare against cut open live rock.
Mol_PMB

Like this:

fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner

Ah ok. Doesn't look too bad, porous wise does it!
Mol_PMB

Today I have installed the doser and supply tanks. This is a Kamoer unit I had left over from before.

I made a shelf for the tanks and mounted both them and the doser on the cabinet door. That way they are easily accessible with the door open, and don’t blick access to the sump, but they tuck away neatly when the door is closed.

Plumbed up with new pipes and filled with RO, I have tested it and it works perfectly. At the moment it is effectively acting as a top-up unit as I don’t have an ATU yet.

With the door open:

Door nearly closed, looking through the gap:

Door closed, seen from the back of the cabinet:
Mol_PMB

I’ve had a go at roughing out a scape. I’m still waiting for some egg-crate and perspex rods and tubes which will enable me to make a more robust structure for the ‘boulder’, and I have some rock left over to form the top of that structure. Like the real thing, the boulder will have lots of nooks and crannies inside, and I hope this will enable me to provide lots of hiding places for fish.

There will also be a smaller ‘island’ in the front of the tank which will have a bush of Pocillopora on it. I haven’t placed that rock yet (it’s currently cycling in the sump).

piker
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 192 times

I've somehow missed this thread and enjoyed catching up.Great pictures from your holiday.
I never knew them tanks were made here in wigan,what's the finish like?Will be good watching this come together👍