Mol_PMB's wildlife pond

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

I've decided to create a wildlife pond in my garden. Most of the garden is dedicated to fruit and veg but I have a rather untidy border of perennials which I intend to convert to the pond.

At present it is about 5m long and 0.6m wide, which isn't a great shape for a pond. So once I've dug it out I'm going to demolish the low stone wall at the front of the border, and rebuilt it in a semi-circular shape so the pond will be close to 2m wide at the widest point (and 5m long).

I intend to have a deep end (approx 0.8m) and a shallow end. At the deep end there will be some form of pump and sponge filter, while the opposite end will gradually slope up to an area of emersed plants. One end of the pond will get more sun than the other, and I haven't yet decided whether it's best to have the shallow or the deep end getting the sun. Any thoughts?

The border is close to my garage, and the rainwater gutter comes down close to it. I'm thinking about making the gutter feed into the pond, and have an overflow on the opposite side leading to a soakaway. That should give me a natural partial water-change when it rains.

My intention is to use only native plants, and not to keep fish. Instead I'm going to try and provide a good habitat for amphibians.

Has anyone got any useful ideas or links to references on wildlife ponds? As usual, the online searches I've done so far have given conflicting advice, for example one advocated making a wildlife pond very shallow, little more than a puddle in summer - that seems wrong to me.

Pics to follow when the sun's out again!
Mol_PMB
Mol_PMB
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 684 times

Here's a photo I took looking down from an upstairs window, before I started work:

And the result of an hour's clearance and digging, plenty more to do yet!
Mol_PMB
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1418 times
Been liked: 3409 times

An interesting project Paul.
5 x 2 meters is a nice size pond.

I could only dream of such a pond but I only have a tiny garden and love my flower border.
My thought would be a small header pool cascading down to the main pool, maybe just 1 metre (or less) cascade.
The top header pool would be great for birds to take a drink whilst the cascading water would keep the bigger pool aerated.
I'm not sure which plants are actually native but rushes are good for natural filtration.
Is there an old pond near by?
I would get a net and a jam jar (just like being a kid again) and give the net a good dip in the bottom of the pond and pull it out and empty the contents into a jar.
I am sure there will be lots of bugs in the mud etc.. to help kickstart your wildlife pond.

I will follow with interest. ;)
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 12 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)