Meet the pond...

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4242 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Pond looking great @Ruth ....everyone OK? :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Yes thanks! Even wee Eli is holding his own! I’ve stopped at 8 fish 😀. They are very tame now and I just have to look in the pond and the wee faces start to appear from the depths! I’m getting quite attached to them.
Ruth
Posting Legend

Here goes @Ric 😭😭😭

So as above everything was great until about 4 weeks or so ago when our weather changed. It was dull and rainy Every day and I wasn’t seeing any fish. I thought it was just the weather and thought nothing of it. Then one day I found a floating fish. It clearly had some kind of bacterial infection and fin rot. I scooped it out and treated the pond. Then soon after that I found a dead fish in the plants. After that another fish looked on its last ‘legs’ and died soon after. I lost 5 big fish and I haven’t seen Eli so assuming the worst.

All I have left now are two healthy Shubunkin.

I had been testing my water with the indoor tester kits. One LFS shop says this isn’t suitable for outdoor and one says it is. Ammonia and nitrites were zero. Feel so bad for the fish. Especially for the wee rescued ones.

Don’t know why it was the Shubunkin fish that didn’t seem to be effected...?

A few weeks on and I’m still really annoyed about it 😢
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

So sorry to hear of your losses, @Ruth :cry:

I can't imagine the change in weather having anything to do with it, unless you're collecting the rainwater directly for the pond and it might have washed in a lot of pollutants? Or one fish had died and that caused ammonia in the pond, affecting the others?

Not sure about the different fish species. Always thought shubunkin are simply a breed form of the goldfish and that they just get on with each other?

I hope the pond recovers now and stays stable. :heart:
Ruth
Posting Legend

Thanks. I just don’t know what to do now. I know goldfish like a group, so would maybe like to have a maximum of 5 in there, but I scared now!!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Sorry to hear Ruth :( that’s really sad to hear
I cant make anymore suggestions other than what Ric has said, i dont know about the testing kits being much different unless the reagents are different for colder water :-/
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Just had a quick search for API master test kit and what I could find in terms of the type of water it tests. It only states it is suitable for freshwater and then says:
Suitable for tropical community fish, cichlids, goldfish and more

This, to me, indicates suitable for tropical, temperate and coldwater.
Ruth
Posting Legend

Aye - so it it’s right then it def wasn’t ammonia. I tested the water a few times. Maybe a fish brought it in...?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Sorry to hear Ruth. :(
It does sound like contamination from somewhere or you've had a fish damager in......any cats in the neighbourhood??
(That may also show like bacterial/damage)
Ruth
Posting Legend

plankton wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 15:54 pm Sorry to hear Ruth. :(
It does sound like contamination from somewhere or you've had a fish damager in......any cats in the neighbourhood??
(That may also show like bacterial/damage)
There are a couple of frequent cat visitors. That’s why I have net over the pond .... hmmmm I wonder....🤔