Martin's old pond.

A place to keep us informed of the goings on in your ponds.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4247 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Some of you may of seen this post on Mol_PMB's wildlife pond blog...
Martinspuddle wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:59 am I miss my garden pond. :cry:
Anyway while going though some pictures this morning I though I'd share them with you all. Maybe one day I will have another... maybe. :[

This pond was hand dug by myself in 2001 and ran for nine years. At it's deepest it was nearly three foot deep, was approximately 9 foot by 6 at it's widest, had a double liner and was only ever cleaned once.

The pond was approximately 800 gallons and filtration was entirely done with plants with a small pond pump for gentle circulation.

It was filled with wild type bronze goldfish, comets and plain goldfish of various colours.

The fish bred year on year and I was always giving some away... breeding nuisance really! :dodgy2:

The ornamental lily was always kept cut back as was the Canadian pond weed.

I had just planted to try a Japanese Rush in a basket at the back of the pond when my then wife and I split up. After the divorce the contents were donated to a local primary school which was twice the size of mine. As far as I know all the stock is doing well in their new home. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

No wonder you miss the pond - it looked great. Well chosen lily - love that dark pink colour, together with the rich red of the fish.
Fishtales
Posting Legend
Has liked: 1064 times
Been liked: 471 times

That was a beautiful looking pond Martin. The plants look stunning. Your fish have such a vibrant colour to them. Glad you found a good home for them, that's something at least :)
Fishkeeping - 4yrs

Aqua One 405lt 5ft tank - Sailfin pleco, Rainbow shark, albino/bronze cory x 11, 7 x Clown Loach
Filtration 2 x Aqua One Aquis 1050 externals, 1 x Ocellaris 850 external

Juwel 120lt 2ft - 12 x Cherry Barb, 10 x Panda Cory, 1 x Albino Bristlenose Pleco
Filtration Fluval 205
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Dwarf version of your lily from a couple of summers ago:

Martinspuddle

The water always remained clear once the plants started growing in the spring. Think partly was helped by the ornamental Cherry tree growing to the right of the pond which hung over the top and meant the pond only got full sun for 3-4 hours in the afternoon, then the houses shadow would cover it again.

This image a crop from the picture above. To give you all an idea of sizes the Comet male on the far left was 12 inches long (not including tail)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martinspuddle

Ric wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:43 pm Dwarf version of your lily from a couple of summers ago:
Nice lily @Ric

I had to keep on top of mine because by year two it covered near enough the whole pond within a few short months. :O
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

It is a really nice looking pond Martin :)
I’ll have to get some pics of my OH’s uncles pond, he’s built up decking a small bridge and a gazebo/summer house around it :)
Martinspuddle

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 13:04 pm It is a really nice looking pond Martin :)
I’ll have to get some pics of my OH’s uncles pond, he’s built up decking a small bridge and a gazebo/summer house around it :)
That would nice to see. :]
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Once all these isolation stuff is over i’ll get some when we’re there :)
Martinspuddle

In case anyone's wondering why I haven't got a pond a my present house, the garden although lovely, long and very simple to care for there is just isn't enough room for one... she who must be obeyed says.

To the right hand side of the garden (where the table and chairs are) is where the washing line hangs over... someone, the boss doesn't want a rotary washing line! :dodgy2: