Tetra EasyBalance

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
samee
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

was visiting my local pet store today and came across the Tetra Easy Balance anybody used this? it takes me some time to clean my fish tank just wondered if this would ease the burden although could change the water 1 month or 2 months and use this, any ideas or thoughts?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Water changes and cleans dont just remove waste but also removing excess hormones and other things as well as replenish other nutrients in the water column :)
Otherwise I haven’t come across the stuff :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Never heard of it. I’d agree with GL and say water changes are about more than removing dirt/algae. It’s a good habit to get up to your armpits in tank once a week to really see what’s happening in there and keep everything in tip top condition. I do 3 tanks right now, all of them twice a week. It’s part of the hobby for me just as much as watching the fish.
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

I agree ☝🏻 water changes for me are a therapeutic, beer open, podcast or audio book playing moment of peace in a house of bedlam.
Madmin

I used it but it’s not that good like others have said water changes are best though an investment in a nitrate reactor will reduce your need to do water changes
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

The Tetra EasyBalance is similar to other products on the market.
You will often be told at a LFS (local fish stockist) that you need it plus another few things; when you read the label then you are convinced that you actually do need it.
You do not need it or anything else except a good dechorinator such as Seachem Prime and maybe a proven "bacteria in a bottle" such as Seachem Stability or Tetra SafeStart.

In my cupboard (under the aquarium) I have a bottle of Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability, API Melafix (just in case) and some liquid fertiliser & carbon for the plants.
A good regular water change (once every 7-10 days), a good maintenance routine and a varied diet for the fish is all that is required to keep the fish happy.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
samee
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

yes makes sense water changes would be the much better option.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

samee wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 18:07 pm was visiting my local pet store today and came across the Tetra Easy Balance anybody used this? it takes me some time to clean my fish tank just wondered if this would ease the burden although could change the water 1 month or 2 months and use this, any ideas or thoughts?
Never used Tetra Easy Balance but I know of this product. I suppose it might work to a degree on a low stocked aquarium. If your thinking of a zero waterchange setup, it can be done, you could to look into a 'Walsted aquarium' but the downside is stocking has to be kept low and it's not something I would recommend for a inexperienced fishkeeper.

For most aquariums weekly waterchanges are a must. It's like you and your family being stuck in a small room with no windows or doors being open for a week, the air going to get rather stale after a few days. :cry:

I can complete my weekly waterchanges within an hour on both aquariums, which is around 60 litres of water. My old reef tank would take up to two hours but there was a lot more involved.

If you don't want to use buckets for your waterchanges, then you could always invest in a Python no spill.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

I've never quite got to grips with the zero water change idea - what about the hormones that get released by the fish that will build up, and may stop some (or eventually all) of the fish from developing properly?
Loaches are just one family where the dominant female will release hormones to control the growth of others, for instance.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

plankton wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:08 am I've never quite got to grips with the zero water change idea - what about the hormones that get released by the fish that will build up, and may stop some (or eventually all) of the fish from developing properly?
Me neither.
I do not believe in the Walstad method, I think it's a load of nonsense. (just my personal thought).
samee wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 18:07 pm it takes me some time to clean my fish tank just wondered if this would ease the burden although could change the water 1 month or 2 months and use this, any ideas or thoughts?
I'm just wondering why it takes you so long to do water changes on a 54L aquarium?
What is your routine (how do you go about it)?
Maybe you are over complicating things and therefore making water changing a burden.

I have a 550L (6 foot) aquarium, I also have a disability, yet my water changes take less than an hour.
I keep it simple, maybe a bit of glass cleaning, the odd plant trim and syphoning up waste/poop but it's just a simple regular routine and never a burden.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)