Is this brand of Ammonia suitable?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Hanlou
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 78 times

I ordered Kleen Off Ammonia and this is what finally turned up..... it’s by a company called ‘Barrettine’.....

Is this ok? The website describes it as 9.5% so I think it is pure ammonia but just wanted to check! Thank you!
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Wow! That's an awful lot. Is it just to start an ammonia cycle? I got a small bottle, 60ml, or 2ounces, from Dr. Tims Aquatics. A small squirt from it was enough to start my cycle.
Hanlou

Jon_D wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 19:34 pm Wow! That's an awful lot. Is it just to start an ammonia cycle? I got a small bottle, 60ml, or 2ounces, from Dr. Tims Aquatics. A small squirt from it was enough to start my cycle.
I’ll never use it all (though it may be useful for cleaning!) but it’s not to to just start the cycle...... a cycle can last 4 - 6 weeks and ammonia needs to be topped up during that time. Not just a squirt to start it off..... :)
Hanlou

@Vale! and @plankton I feel you will definitely know the answer to this!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Looking at both data sheets as far as i can tell it would be ok to use
Hanlou

Gingerlove05 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 20:58 pm Looking at both data sheets as far as i can tell it would be ok to use
Thank you very much! :)

I will pour some into a glass to check there’s no surfactant (frothy stuff! :D ) in it before use too.
Hanlou

Jon_D wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 19:34 pm Wow! That's an awful lot. Is it just to start an ammonia cycle? I got a small bottle, 60ml, or 2ounces, from Dr. Tims Aquatics. A small squirt from it was enough to start my cycle.
Well, I didn’t know this existed, having just made my hand red and sore from trying to open the bottle of ammonia (!) I’ve given up. I’ve ordered the Dr Tims ammonia instead. So thank you lol.

I’ve emailed the seller (of the above pictured bottle) as it’s a non-returnable item :dodgy: - it’s not the brand I paid for and I reckon that the opening mechanism must be faulty. I’m not silly but after about 15 minutes or so trying to open it using tea towels and all kinds of different methods I have given up!!

I’m wary now so have gone with the Dr Tim’s ammonia stuff as I know nothing dodgy will turn up instead! And hopefully I will be able to open it.....!! :cool: ;)

Have waited a week for this stuff to turn up so I am disappointed.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

That's a shame you can't use it......
Hanlou

plankton wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:42 am That's a shame you can't use it......
I know....!! I’m very patient and bloomin’ stubborn and determined lol but it beat me! :-/

I mean I’m a Carer for my husband so I’m used to opening fiddly medicine bottles which often have a similar mechanism to open them but nothing I did made any difference. All I did was make my hand hurt!! :(
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Did you try a chainsaw?! ;) :D