Fry tank help

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

Si4geckos wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 22:11 pm Watch the video. it explains what's changed in the tech and why too :)
To be honest I never had trouble with any heaters, except for a faulty one once.

Do you have a link to the video? :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

OK, I found the video.

Having watched Cory's video, I will say that it does explain why my late mother before me and I have had very few problems with heater thermostats over the years.

Mum use to say always run the heater at the lower end of what the fishes need and that's the way I run heaters ever since which would probably explain they've always lasted a long time or are still going. We always have them with flow by them from a filter or under them, like from a airstone.

Many of the older heaters that we own that date back from late 70's and 80's and are still working but I have found I've had to decommission these because the rubber seals or cable's on these older heaters have cracked and crazed over the years making them no longer safe to use.

The only failure I had was a brand new Juwel 200 watt heater, that gave me an electric shock. It was returned to the shop and replace with a new one. Turned out there was a fault on the seal around the temperature control knob letting in a small amount of water.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Si4geckos wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 21:49 pm
The heater needs to be at the correct angle with decent flow to prevent heat pockets.
I might have to go rewatch it but I thought the reason he (which IIRC actually came from a Fluval instruction manual) advised the old 45 deg angle was to prevent the thermostat tripping in and out as heat went straight up into it.

Incidentally in the Fireplace I have the heater completely horizontal

Save anyone lese hunting the vid