What goes better with a betta?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

I don’t know, but I hope it’s something that begins with ‘b’ 😁
Mito
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 190 times

I've ended up with neither of the tanks I was thinking about! I bought a turtle tank, 60x30x20cm. I wanted a tank without a black plastic band around the top. I intend to try emerged plants as well and with the betta only.
When I get round to updating my tank log I'll post some photos of the slow progression.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4197 times

Ciano 60 by any chance?
Mito

fr499y wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:35 am Ciano 60 by any chance?
Yes! Half made a filter for it today, courtesy of Youtube, the creative channel. A plastic pot from the local Chinese shop, a small 12v pump I have and some leftover sponge filter. Got to get some flexible tube tomorrow and glue it all up together. The "turtle bed" hung on the back wrong way round will hold the filter.
Mito

The home made filter was not a success :[ so I have a cheap Chinese pump with a bit of filter foam held on with a couple of elastic bands and hung on the glass with home made hangers made from windscreen wiper stainless steel inserts. It works :]
The end result.

Called him Blu! He's on his own, the danios were too boisterous for him. He's still a bit nervous as he's now in the house and not in the peace and quiet of the shed.
Ruth
Posting Legend
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 1316 times

He’s lovely! I read that Galaxy Rasbora MAY work... I’m considering that myself, but it’s a risk isn’t it. What are you planning - do u think you’ll keep him on his own?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4197 times

If you really want to keep fish with a betta, go for something like ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, neons etc.
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Lovely set-up. With all those plants and nooks and crannies, shrimp might work. Even if he gives chase there seem to be a lot of hiding places.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5048 times
Been liked: 3422 times

Are they his food pellets floating at the top?
If so - way too many! ;)
If they're snails - aren't they cute.... :D
Mito

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of some Harlequins as they're from the same area but there's only about 25l of water there so with 4 or 5 I'll be overstocked unless I do a water change twice a week. Shrimp are an option but more than a mouthfull size if I can find some. I'll wait awhile until the plants have grown more.
I'm wondering whether to take out the sponge and just have the water circulating. With only one occupant at the moment I think there are sufficient plants to remove the amonia. A good idea or not?
The bits floating aren't food. I've used JBL Mandato I think it's called. I've used it before without problems but this time I had a lot float and wouldn't sink. That's what's floating on the surface, a daily task to hoist the bits out. ::problem::
He's calming down now and has started to take food off a spoon, bloodworm in the morning and Fluval Bug Bites in the evening. Quite spoilt really! My wife has frequent deep and meaningful conversations with him. I'll get her interested in fish yet. :grin: