Muncher help needed

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
SxAqua
Has Liked: 481 times
Been liked: 354 times

Muncher help needed

Post by SxAqua »

So my last fish, group of 7 cory went Tueday afternoon from my 110L. Took out most of the water to catch them so replaced some of it with new treated water.

I proceeded to dose ammonia at 5pm following directions on Dr tims. 4ml to be precise.

I've dosed the same Thursday and Friday. Just tested a minute ago before dosing and this happened ....

Now the ammonia is as it always has been, same as tap. But what are these nitrites doing ? 🥺 And why are my Nitrates off the clock. They look about 80 ! What do I do ? 🤔 I used fish food method first time around so dosing ammonia is new to me. Do I carry on dosing ammonia? Or less? Or change water ? 😳

Hope I haven't totally messed the cycle up !

Andys temperate tank
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has Liked: 1499 times
Been liked: 801 times

Re: Muncher help needed

Post by Andys temperate tank »

I'm no expert but I think your munchers are doing overtime.

The ammonia has been converted to nitrite and must be getting converted to nitrate now.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L 34 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, 6 angelfish, 2 German blue rams.

SxAqua

Post by SxAqua »

Yes thats what appears to be happening isn't it.

So my tank is 29 us gallons. Its 4 drops per gallon to achieve 2ppm ammonia. Ive read 20 drops =1 ml of liquid. So I'm actually dosing less than 2ppm.

I don't understand why my filter is struggling?

Andys temperate tank
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has Liked: 1499 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by Andys temperate tank »

I'm fairly sure I read 2ppm is miles more ammonia than a healthy set up produces so they will be dealing with miles more ammonia.
64L temperate community.
60L betta tank: 1 Delta betta (Stan), 6 sterbai cory.
5ft 425L 34 rummie nose tetra, 1 longfin BN plec, 6 angelfish, 2 German blue rams.

mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 368 times
Been liked: 971 times

Post by mikeyw64 »

That looks like theyre doing tehir job.

What you want to do is check the ammonia about 15 minutes or so after dosing and confirm it is in fact around the 2ppm mark (if it isn't then up the dose)

If when you check the following morning your ammonia is zero then thats exactly what should be happening.

If your ammonia & nitrite are both zero that's even better :)

3 days of double zeroes and that should be you cycled then if your nitrates are high then its time for a BFO water change :)

80L :: The Fireplace Community::
Platy :: Neon Tetra :: Ember Tetra :: Panda Cory :: Ottocinclus
300L :: The Sunnyside 300 :: Dwarf Cichlids :: Bleeding Heart Tetra :: Rummy Nose Tetra
24L :: Eddisons Castle in a Cube :: Platy Nursery
Excel Tank Logs

SxAqua

Post by SxAqua »

Andys temperate tank wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:00 pm
I'm fairly sure I read 2ppm is miles more ammonia than a healthy set up produces so they will be dealing with miles more ammonia.
Ok so shall I retest in the morning and add more once the nitrites are gone? Perhaps add less ammonia? 2-3 ml?

SxAqua

Post by SxAqua »

mikeyw64 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:02 pm
That looks like theyre doing tehir job.

What you want to do is check the ammonia about 15 minutes or so after dosing and confirm it is in fact around the 2ppm mark (if it isn't then up the dose)

If when you check the following morning your ammonia is zero then thats exactly what should be happening.

If your ammonia & nitrite are both zero that's even better :)

3 days of double zeroes and that should be you cycled then if your nitrates are high then its time for a BFO water change :)
Mikey this is my fully cycled cannister. Im just trying to maintain it whilst waiting to fill the new tank. That's why I'm baffled as to why nitrites are showing 24 hours after dosing?

mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has Liked: 368 times
Been liked: 971 times

Post by mikeyw64 »

possibly because 2ppm is a high load.

As I suggested check it after 15 minutes to see what you're actually getting from the dosing.

You never know you may be overdosing ;o)

80L :: The Fireplace Community::
Platy :: Neon Tetra :: Ember Tetra :: Panda Cory :: Ottocinclus
300L :: The Sunnyside 300 :: Dwarf Cichlids :: Bleeding Heart Tetra :: Rummy Nose Tetra
24L :: Eddisons Castle in a Cube :: Platy Nursery
Excel Tank Logs

SxAqua

Post by SxAqua »

I can kinda understand the nitrates now. I've added fresh water which come out the tap at 30ppm. There are only 4 potted plants in there and my floating plants are outside now. So I get why there's high nitrates.

But 24 hours after adding less than 2 ppm ammonia I shouldn't have any nitrites on a cycled filter....

Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has Liked: 2033 times
Been liked: 1323 times

Post by Gingerlove05 »

The amount you have been adding (upto 2ppm) is enough to keep the filter ticking over, as mentioned probably more so because 2ppm is more than a tank full of rift lake cichlids can produce (its why fishless cycling was developed). So i expect your bacteria are catching up from your stock level to the 2ppm level. But it will mean you will have more than enough bacteria to fully stock your tank again when you do get fish. The nitrate test can be all over the place during a cycle i think it reacts with the ammonia/nitrite.