New Tank - Coldwater - Reseal

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Joefish
Been liked: 47 times

Hi All,

I just got myself another tank for pretty much free, swapped some bits of go karts i didnt want for it.

He says it has a small leak when its half filled.... but from the looks at the bottom, someones had a RIGHT go at re sealing it, ive got 2 tubes of sealent pictured, looks like the base glass sits inside the rest of the glass, is this going to be a pain in the arse or is it a case of cutting and cleaning all the old silicone off and sitting the tank over the bottom glass on a perfectly flat surface, and sealing round the inside?

Thanks - Joe

Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Personally, I would not be fussed what the bottom part looks like as it would be covered with gravel or sand anyway. Have you actually tested the tank (not in your living room, mind :D)?

I've never resealed a tank myself but everything I've read says to take off all the old sealant and reseal everything. Quite a project :)
codheadjohn
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 126 times

I agree with @Ric, reseal the whole tank. Trying to get new silicone to seal against old silicone can be difficult. Make sure it's spotlessly clean before you start
Ricrhys
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 469 times
Been liked: 560 times

Cut all the old stuff, Stanley blade scrape the hell out of the glass where any silicone was, use solvent, then re seal as said, I spent months worrying and reading about replacing a tank bottom, then did it in 20 min and job done, wish I’d just got on with it in the first place, that being said my replacement glass and silicone cost more than the exact same intact Roma 125 that came up on market place a couple of days later.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3889 times

But does it leak?!
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Joefish
Been liked: 47 times

hes had it for a few months, he said it gets around half full and starts leaking so he put it in his back garden and it only ever filled up half way the silicone is a mouldy mess at the bottom so ill have to re do all that anyway, not bothered how it looks at the bottom like you say but dont want nasties in there hehe