Poorly Bristlenoses?

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
Drifty
Posting Legend
Has liked: 2115 times
Been liked: 761 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 16:35 pm
SomersetMatt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 16:14 pm They do get mainly a vegetarian diet, sinking pellets, peas and brocoli.
The other fish get frozen bloodworm etc so I suppose they may get the odd one here and there, but not a lot are left once the tetras have had their share.
Ancistrus species can be quite cautious or even shy, I've always feed mine after lights out.

Also try using Lettuce, Cucumber or Aubergine using a vegetable clip. Don't worry too much if it's gone off a little, it's will still be eaten and any left you can remove the following day :]
where could get one those peg thing could be useful for me.
Create Not Hate
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4220 times
Been liked: 3888 times

Drifty wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 17:45 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 16:35 pm
SomersetMatt wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 16:14 pm They do get mainly a vegetarian diet, sinking pellets, peas and brocoli.
The other fish get frozen bloodworm etc so I suppose they may get the odd one here and there, but not a lot are left once the tetras have had their share.
Ancistrus species can be quite cautious or even shy, I've always feed mine after lights out.

Also try using Lettuce, Cucumber or Aubergine using a vegetable clip. Don't worry too much if it's gone off a little, it's will still be eaten and any left you can remove the following day :]
where could get one those peg thing could be useful for me.
LFS, Amazon, or Fleabay.

Nori clip link; eBay
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
SomersetMatt
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 46 times

SomersetMatt

I tried to get a shot of one of the youngsters, (probably a year old), apologies for my awful phone camera.

Can any of you make out the concave stomach? Or am I imagining things?

As I said there is absolutely no other sign of illness except not eating.
SomersetMatt

Here's a better one of the adult male, circa 2-2.5 years old:

plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

Have you added anything to the tank that may have brought in internal worms/parasites?
I would soak their food in crushed. fresh garlic (about half a clove for the whole tank) which will a) stimulate their appetite and b) upset anything that's in the stomachs.
I've seen males with sunken stomachs after looking after the eggs/fry for too long without eating, but not both parents.
You may have to look at worming them though.
SomersetMatt

@plankton
Nothing new gone in for ages except food, and water changes, I rarely ever lose fish so don't buy them that often.

I put some boiled brocoli in this morning and they were all over it (confused).

The only thing I can think of is last week it was pretty hot, and the tank temp was in the high 20's, maybe this put them off their food and this is why they got skinny?

Today we're at a 24/25 and they seem to be eating again.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Maybe, glad they're eating again. :)
SomersetMatt

Thought I'd give a brief update.
So they all seem OK still, they are eating but they're not as voracious as they were and they still look a little flat.

@plankton you mentioned if I'd added anything to the tank, well yes I did actually, I forgot that I put some almond leaves in there recently, could this be something to do with it? Maybe they had some parasites on them?
If so would you recommend some kind of antigparasitic agent? I've never put medications into the tank before so I haven't a clue what I should use if anything.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

I usually suggest Interpet Anti Internal parasite for corys (used to be #9), that may help but I don't know.
What was the source of the almond leaves?