Silicone degrading

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

They don't say if the bulge is permanent or if it will spring back when the load comes off, if it's springy then no problem but if the bulge is a stretch then I'd worry.
SomersetMatt
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 46 times

Thanks for all the replies ladies and gents.
Despite what Juwell have told me I am taking the advice from here and going to attempt a repair myself.

I will update this thread when I have finished which will hopefully be in the next week as I can't live with the worry it is giving me for much longer.
SomersetMatt

Right, so bit of an update. Its taken me a couple weeks as I had to get hold of the adhesive and plan a day I could actually attempt the repair.

So I prepared and started draining the tank, and kept draining right down to almost nothing, (still a bit left in the bottom as I kept this fish in, they're all small species so would be fine in a few inches of water for a bit).

The only problem is, the glass sides didn't budge!😭 I thought they would "shrink back" flush with the braces, allowing me to glue them back, but no the gap remains. It would appear the slight bowing is permanent.

I had no choice but to refill the tank, so I'm back where I started now, as it looks like there is nothing I can do.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1785 times
Been liked: 4202 times

do you have any large clamps?

Wood on the back and front and clamp it together. You'll need to drain it down again though.

Its a risky job to do but works if you are careful!
SomersetMatt

fr499y wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm do you have any large clamps?

Wood on the back and front and clamp it together. You'll need to drain it down again though.

Its a risky job to do but works if you are careful!
No I don't have any clamps, I could get some though from Wickes.

I don't mind draining it again, it didn't take too long. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, I plan on moving house in the next couple of years and would like to upgrade to a larger tank.
If this tank holds until then I would be happy.
Obviously there's no way of knowing that though.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5051 times
Been liked: 3423 times

A big elastic band?
;) :D
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

You could just add silicone to the joint as it is, might stop it getting worse.
The fact it didn't spring back makes it more likely the manufacturer was fobbing you off and trying to blind you with science.
SomersetMatt

plankton wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 13:08 pm A big elastic band?
;) :D
ROFL
SomersetMatt

LookoutTrout wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 13:17 pm You could just add silicone to the joint as it is, might stop it getting worse.
The fact it didn't spring back makes it more likely the manufacturer was fobbing you off and trying to blind you with science.
Yeah I think you're right. I might give that a go actually and hope it holds for a year or two😬

My next aquarium definately won't be a Juwell that's for sure, I've definately lost confidence in them now.
Maybe I'll try Rena, I've heard good things about them.