Traveling with fish

Hsep
Been liked: 1 time

Hello,

at the end of May I will be moving. Unfortunately it is not moving from one part of city to other. I would like to ask whether anyone has experience with moving fish long distance. To be more specific, I estimated that it will be aproximatelly 12 hour drive with all the necessary stops.

Given that I wish to bring my fish with me, are there any tips and tricks for such a trip?

In total, I need to move 8 swordtails, 6 emeber tetras, 9 corys, 2 bristlenose plecos and betta fish. I assume that it should be possible to travel with fish since you can ship them. However, I have no clue how to do it.

My question also concerns moving the aquriums, plants and all the things around. My current strategy is to get water containers to preserve all the water. Also leave a little bit of water it the aquariums so that the substrate does not dry out.

However, the fish and my plants are mystery.

Thank you!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 3927 times

Nope, 0.8 mile I moved :grin:

They should OK if you pack them like the importers do. Polystyrene fish box, double bag. Flight from South America to the UK is around eleven hours and they've still have to be delivered to the importers warehouse, which could be another hour or two.

Polystyrene boxes you can buy online for around £17.00 or you could ask your LFS if they can supply one for you. :]

Plants, pack them wet in tall fish bags and seal. Check if the removals will carry a aquarium, some don't or others charge extra. My concern would be the filter media, might be better to rehome your stock and start again once your settled.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4287 times

try to individually bag the corys as they do secrete a toxin which will kill them if they are all dumped in the same bag.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

I would be a little concerned if the area you are moving to has a significant water difference.
Example: Moving from a hard water area to a soft water area (or visa versa).

At this time of year the temperature outside is quite good for transporting fish, unlike winter when it can be quite cold.
fr499y wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:24 am try to individually bag the corys as they do secrete a toxin which will kill them if they are all dumped in the same bag.
I agree with @fr499y about the cory. I would also add a drop (I mean a tiny drop) of Melafix to the bag which helps to keep them calm.

Good luck with the move.
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
Martinspuddle

Forgot about Corydoras issue, good point @fr499y and @Stephen ...my bad, I've not kept any for so long.

So which area of His Majesty's Britannic islands are you moving to @Hsep?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5090 times
Been liked: 3436 times

The only problem could be the difference in water parameters, the filter should be ok if it's wet, but the "munchers", like the fish, won't like a change of water parameters....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Hsep
Been liked: 1 time

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:52 am Polystyrene boxes you can buy online for around £17.00 or you could ask your LFS if they can supply one for you.
Thank you, that is a great idea!
fr499y wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:24 am try to individually bag the corys as they do secrete a toxin which will kill them if they are all dumped in the same bag.
Do you have any other recommendations regarding the number of fish per bag? I was thinking that all the embers to one bag and split the swordtails either in pairs or do two adults and two juveniles per bag. The b. plecos each separately as they both come from different tanks and of course the betta alone.
Stephen wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:40 am I would be a little concerned if the area you are moving to has a significant water difference.
Example: Moving from a hard water area to a soft water area (or visa versa).
I am aware of this issue. Currently my water is soft and I am arficially increasing the GH. Therefore I know that I will have to be matching my current water parameters by all means.

Unfortunately, I am currently not aware of the actual water parameters in the area I should be moving to, the only information I could find is that it is on the harder side.
Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 15:30 pm So which area of His Majesty's Britannic islands are you moving to @Hsep?
Oxford
plankton wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:38 am The only problem could be the difference in water parameters, the filter should be ok if it's wet, but the "munchers", like the fish, won't like a change of water parameters....
I will be probably rescaping the tanks as I do not think that my hardscape will survive anaways. Hence, I will have to do fish-in cycle and hopefully establish new bacteria again.

Also, would you care about the oxygen in the bags? I am considering getting some air stones that dissolve into the water (not the air pump ones), smashing them into smaller pieces and putting them in the bags. Is that a good idea?
Martinspuddle

Hsep wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:22 am
Martinspuddle wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 15:30 pm So which area of His Majesty's Britannic islands are you moving to @Hsep?
Oxford
Iron water then at 15.6 dGH. A tad less than Kent, although here on Sceapig it's a lot less for some odd reason. 🤔
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1800 times
Been liked: 4287 times

ah yes oxford is pretty hard water. Very slow acclimatising when you get there as the hardness will be a shock. Be prepared to loose a few as well. The swordtails will love it though!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5090 times
Been liked: 3436 times

The filter "munchers" will adapt, but it will take time. You won't be doing a full fish-in cycle. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian