New set up

Request information on fish, corals or other marine aquarium issues.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

This is my first thread on AF and my first attempt at setting up a reef tank. Back in the early sixties my wife and I were both reasonably successful in running two 50-60 gallon marine tanks. In fact you could say my wife was a victim of her own success as her puffer outgrew its tank, it broke her heart letting it go. I'm quite amazed when I read todays scientific articles on keeping marine aquariums. How I managed to keep a huge anemone with clown fish and two surgeon fish in a 50 gallon tank with basic knowledge and equipment I've no idea. Anyway now that we have more time on our hands we thought we might enjoy the ups and downs of the hobby once more. Yesterday I strolled around my local aquatic shop and noticed most things haven't changed apart from a lot more choice. I'm hoping we have as much luck (it certainly wasn't skill) in our new venture as we did 50 years ago. Any tips on kicking off a 50 gallon reef tank would be very much appreciated.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

@algae Can you tell us a bit more about the planned setup?

Is it sumped? ( rear or under tank )
What's your budget?
Is that US or UK gallon?
What are you planning on keeping? Full reef setup, softies, LPS, SPS
How high is the tank?

LED's are certainly the way forward when it comes to lighting, but its still hard to beat a hybrid unit running HO T5's and LED's
I'd highly recommend Bubble Magus skimmers for a cheap but quality skimmer thats also quiet!
Jecod/Jabao wave makers are brilliant for the price, but if you have the money then splash out on Vortech's.
algae
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 13 times

I can see the advantage by having a sump but I will need to give this more thought. When it comes to budget I realize this hobby can run away with a few bob so I'm prepared for that. I plan on keeping softies in a full reef setup with possibly a couple of clown fish or similar when the tank matures. The tank is 50 UK gallons and 600mm or 2ft high. If I'm successful on ebay I hope to pick up the tank this weekend plus a new fluval external filter and heater. Something I've not given much thought about is the lighting, I will check out what you recommend, I take it the hybrid unit is over an open top tank?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1773 times
Been liked: 4164 times

What i used on my old 4ft was a bubble magus Q3 skimmer, no filter ( highly recommend against this! ) a could of wave makers and roughly 1KG of live rock per 10L of water. Combine this with live sand and theres no need to use any other filtration ( filter floss to remove debris is all I'd recommend )

Yes, most lighting units for marines will be hung or mounted to the tank rim.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5424 times
Been liked: 2667 times

Hello and welcome :)
I know next to nothing about marines aside from they’re pretty :D
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!