Panic buying... *WARNING - CURRENT NEWS RELATED TOPIC*

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Latest letter from Saisnbuury's:-
--------------------------------------------
You wrote to tell me that product limits were a barrier to being able to shop for other people. We understand that it can be difficult to buy what you need and shop for someone else with the 3 item product limit. We have now lifted buying restrictions on thousands of products and hope that this will help more of you to shop for others. I also want to reassure you that stock levels are now much better right across the store. We are keeping limits on the most popular items for now, including pasta, UHT milk, antibacterial products and some tinned and frozen foods. But you can now feel confident in shopping in our stores at any time of day and being able to find most of what you need.

To help people shop for others easily, we will be introducing a new volunteer gift card and online voucher in the next week or two. I will share more information on this soon.

------------------------------------------------
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4244 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Jon_D wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:43 am Latest letter from Saisnbuury's:-
--------------------------------------------
You wrote to tell me that product limits were a barrier to being able to shop for other people. We understand that it can be difficult to buy what you need and shop for someone else with the 3 item product limit. We have now lifted buying restrictions on thousands of products and hope that this will help more of you to shop for others. I also want to reassure you that stock levels are now much better right across the store. We are keeping limits on the most popular items for now, including pasta, UHT milk, antibacterial products and some tinned and frozen foods. But you can now feel confident in shopping in our stores at any time of day and being able to find most of what you need.

To help people shop for others easily, we will be introducing a new volunteer gift card and online voucher in the next week or two. I will share more information on this soon.

------------------------------------------------
Is it any better @Jon_D or is this just marketing?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

Members of parliament who are given generous expense packages to cover the ‘costs’ of working away from home, are today relieved to find out they will also receive a generous expense package to cover the cost of working at home.
With many MPs accruing tens of thousands in expenses to cover things like refurbishing the second home they apparently need for work, it has come as a pleasant surprise that they will now be given £10,000, no questions asked, to help cover the cost of working in their first home.
Taxpayer Simon Williams told us, “Like all homeworkers, MPs will be finding this a dreadfully difficult and costly time.
“There is the extra cost of electricity for plugging your laptop in all day. The extra cost of the biscuits you will eat. The extra cost of toilet roll because you can’t take all of your shits in the office. These things all add up.

----------------------------
The whole article here:-
https://newsthump.com/2020/04/09/mps-wh ... g-at-home/
Ric
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4280 times
Been liked: 1898 times

Jon_D wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 13:00 pm Members of parliament who are given generous expense packages to cover the ‘costs’ of working away from home, are today relieved to find out they will also receive a generous expense package to cover the cost of working at home.
With many MPs accruing tens of thousands in expenses to cover things like refurbishing the second home they apparently need for work, it has come as a pleasant surprise that they will now be given £10,000, no questions asked, to help cover the cost of working in their first home.
Taxpayer Simon Williams told us, “Like all homeworkers, MPs will be finding this a dreadfully difficult and costly time.
“There is the extra cost of electricity for plugging your laptop in all day. The extra cost of the biscuits you will eat. The extra cost of toilet roll because you can’t take all of your shits in the office. These things all add up.
True - for everyone home working right now. I already got some funny comments claiming back some phone expenses; don't think my employer is going to pay me a lump sum of £10,000...
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

so apparently dog grooming isn't classed as an essential service even though it's an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 to let your pets/animals suffer.

Hmmm wonder if Winston would let me use my clippers on him?

He's not liking this warmer weather already
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

So a group of men who have been cooped up together in a tin can since well before the Covid thing began are criticised for having a BBQ when they come in for a few days repairs, and where they (as I read it ) weren't being allowed to see family etc as they were going back out on Patrol.

Well good on their Captain I say for letting them have some downtime

Oh and apparently when they do eventually get back they still need to self isolate for 14 days !!!!

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/24/royal-na ... -12604118/
Martinspuddle

This is now the end of week three of being furloughed, isolation or religious fasting what ever you want to call it and there looks like end in sight. Work hasn't returned to anywhere near normality yet, not that I'm complaining I had so much work to do with my fathers estate but I am beginning to worry how long or what the long term financial consequences for us and the country?! :cry:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thebendyfox
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 149 times

Long term is unknown, but generally speaking in the short term (once the full lockdown is over) they reckon there will be enough of a post-lockdown boost, through increased spending, to bring it further back in line.

SMEs will be the hardest hit, especially those like hairdressers, beauticians etc. Small businesses with low income/profit %s that may not have any income for 6 months or more.
Alea iacta est

::60ltr Community Tank:: - Cockatoo Cichlid Pair; Cockatoo Cichlid Fry, 12x Cherry Barbs; 6x Amano Shrimp
Martinspuddle

thebendyfox wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:24 am Long term is unknown, but generally speaking in the short term (once the full lockdown is over) they reckon there will be enough of a post-lockdown boost, through increased spending, to bring it further back in line.

SMEs will be the hardest hit, especially those like hairdressers, beauticians etc. Small businesses with low income/profit %s that may not have any income for 6 months or more.
I'm thinking more of high taxes, the government and local councils are going to want to get their money and back to austerity, cuts of services and worst of all, inflation, the increase in the general price levels of goods and services to the economy. All this before our exit of the European union in January. Not good.
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5443 times
Been liked: 2668 times

Well im off furlough as of tomorrow, which as much as i dont mind going back to work, but the numbers are still rising/settling.
I understand we need to get things slowly starting so the economy can tick over but im also worried we’re watching europe too much and thinking we can open sooner, which i’m worried might cause a second spike and potentially another lockdown.