For the Computer lovers out there! - Shows us your setup

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:18 am

@Jon_D our download speeds ain't much better sometimes as we here are still on overhead telephone wires and as I was told by a BT engineer the so called 'superfast' fibre broadband cable only goes as far as the green box in the main road, so we lose speed from there onwards. :dodgy2:
Correct all copper based broiadbands are slow with length of line.

with standard DSL/ADSL the copper from your house goes all the way back to your local exchange where it splits into Voice & Datawith the broadband being connected by fibre back into your providers core network.

The further from the exchange the slower the speeds (although other factors such as quality of copper, number of junctions ect also come into play.

FTTC (Fibre to The Cab) aka VDSL or superfast essentially moves the exchange equipment closer to the premises and splits it into voice & data at the green cabinet with the voice going back to the local exchange via copper and the Data going back to either the local exchnage or a Metro exchnage for the area using fibre.

VDSL achieve higher speeds than ADSL but also drops speed far quicker with distance which is why the exchange equipment has to be moved to the local cabinet

FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) which is starting to be rolled out in some areas does what it says on the lid and brings the fibre directly into your house giving you extremely high speeds that are not length dependent as they use fibre optic for the entire run.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4247 times
Been liked: 3909 times

What I like @mikeyw64 is when BT sales ring us up and try telling me they can give 'Superfast fibre broadband' much faster than what we already have. I then ask "are you going install a new connection from the main road junction box to our house for free then?" :grin:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
mikeyw64
Posting Legend
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 1275 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 am What I like @mikeyw64 is when BT sales ring us up and try telling me they can give 'Superfast fibre broadband' much faster than what we already have. I then ask "are you going install a new connection from the main road junction box to our house for free then?" :grin:
they may be right.

It could be that FTTP is now available in your area (which doesn't use the copper) or you could be on a 40mb profile/package rather than an up to 80mb profile/package.

The latter is only an upgrade if your line is synching between 40 & 80 but throughput currently capped at 40
Martinspuddle

Well it might not matter to much soon, the boss want's to move house. :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Had a small upgrade as work has been requiring a lot of um... s**ty jobs that are beating the hell out of my CPU.

The fans aren't to everyones taste, but i can colour them or turn them off if i want as they are all addressable LED's.
I have the CPU, rear and top fans hooked up to the ARGB port on the board, and the three front run of a corsair controller ( had these 3 in my old non ARGB board ) All are currently set to rainbow :D

Ryzen 5 3600X 6-core 12-thread @ 4.4Ghz OC CPU
Hyper-X Fury 16GB DDR4-3200 Mhz RAM ( for now, will get another 16GB at a later date )
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB M.2 Gaming Solid State Drive 3500/3000MB/s
MSI Radeon Vega 64 Airboost 8GB which is currently OC/UV and runs awesome!
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

RAVE! :woo:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5056 times
Been liked: 3424 times

Yeah, I'm not sure about the RGBTs, they're ok for about 10 minutes and then get annoying, I've just got blue LEDs for mine.....
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1787 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Gingerlove05 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:43 am RAVE! :woo:
Funny enough they do have a music setting which is awesome :D like an old school audio visualizer
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5446 times
Been liked: 2668 times

fr499y wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 pm
Gingerlove05 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:43 am RAVE! :woo:
Funny enough they do have a music setting which is awesome :D like an old school audio visualizer
GET ON IT! Bang some Darude on and go mad ROFL
Martinspuddle

fr499y wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:06 am Image
The fans aren't to everyones taste, but i can colour them or turn them off if i want as they are all addressable LED's.
.....surprised he didn't go watercooled?! ::eh::

Spending more money, upgraded the upgrades, I now have TWO Ryzen computers in the house. :H

I finally managed to get the motherboard I originally wanted. I went with a Micro ATX form factor board thinking I wouldn't need the extra expansion space ...Wrong! :[

So I purchased a Gigabyte X570 UD ATX for my main computer downstairs so leaving me with a spare B450 M-ATX motherboard and I changed the R570 GPU for a Radeon RX5600XT which although the previous GPU worked, it was running at 100% when I was doing any photographic editing and running anything else at the same time. Got the M.2 drive fitted, PCIe Gen3, had I gone for the same processor as yours @fr499y I could have used a PCIe Gen4, M.2 drive but couldn't see the point of changing it.

Total storage in this one 4.3TB plus it's clocked to 4.0 GHz, don't think I'll push it any further, I can hardly keep up with it! :grin:

Image Image

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 6 core, 12 Thread plus Corsair H60 watercooler.
Gigabyte X570 UD ATX Motherboard.
Radeon RX5600XT Graphics card.
Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 drive.

Bit naughty really, now I could upgrade my late fathers old PC ever further. :$

Image Image

So took out the old Intel Q6600 and Gigabyte board, sold on to a friend and started a little upgrade. The GPU a R570 Radeon I already had, so a few extra pounds later, using some secondhand parts, £45 for the Ryzen 3 1300X processor off ebay, AMD cooler come free from my Ryzen 5, 120 GB Sandisk SSD already had. Two Hyper DDR4 2133 8GB sticks for £30, ebay. This PC is now running a Beta Ubuntu Linux operating system.