HMA questions?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Forum suggestion always welcome. All things non-fishy related.
SGGT
Has liked: 1 time

Hello,

I've had an aquarium for about a year now, focusing on community tank that includes Angel fish, Guppies, Rummy Nose Tetra, Corydoras, Clown Loach, Amino Shirmp and Bambo Shimp.
Its got substrate at the base, some gravel on top and quite a few different plants.

I'm really enjoying the hobby but always interested in ways of making maintenance cheaper, efficient and easier at times.

An area I've had thoughts about was can I reduce the amount of chemicals I buy. I am currently stocked up with:

API Stress Coat
API Quick Start
API Stress Zyme
API Prevent Algae
API Leaf Zone
Seacheme Prime

I've only been using these as they came along with the tank when buying it off a friend who had the tank going a while back.

My thoughts are if I buy a HMA and run my water changes through it, I would no longer need to buy some of these chemicals?
Is this how it would work?

If so, what chemicals would I no longer need to buy? (Or at least use less of)

Apologies if this is in the wrong section or if I'm doing things wrong. Very new here! Please feel free to direct me in how to do things correctly!

Many thanks,
Stefan

Edit: I also live in London, hard water.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
SGGT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 15:20 pm I've had an aquarium for about a year now, focusing on community tank that includes Angel fish, Clown Loach
Hope you planning on a large aquarium. :]

My only concern about using a HMA water filter would be one cost, two they don't all remove chlorine. I've seen some Discus keepers use it but never used it myself and from what I read you will have to use a dechlorinator to be safe.

Is this something your planning to use for your consumption as well?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

The only chemical you need to add is dechlorinator (Prime), and possibly the plant food. The others you're adding are totally unnecessary.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
SGGT

Hello, thanks for the reply!

Its a 125 litre tank, hopefully in the future would love to upsize!

From what I briefly read, its buying the HMA replacements every 6/12 months. And it would only be for aquarium water changes (not for consumption) so minimal usage really, preserving the filters even further.

So i'd probably want to continue using API Stress Coat, only have one tank, don't think I'd want to risk it...

Also, would you (or anyone else) happen to know if API Quick Start and API Stress Zyme is always needed? I think our tank is quite good in regards to beneficial bacteria, i'm starting to read that if thats the case, maybe I dont always need to use these chemicals.

Many thanks,
Stefan
SGGT

black ghost wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 16:20 pm The only chemical you need to add is dechlorinator (Prime), and possibly the plant food. The others you're adding are totally unnecessary.

Hello,

Thanks for the info, I was always curious to how much I need the other products.
Would this be with a HMA? or without one?

Many thanks,
Stefan
Martinspuddle

SGGT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 16:28 pm Its a 125 litre tank, hopefully in the future would love to upsize!
I wouldn't house Angelfish or Clown loaches in that size aquarium. I'd wait to keep those species until you have a larger tank.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

SGGT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 16:31 pm
black ghost wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 16:20 pm The only chemical you need to add is dechlorinator (Prime), and possibly the plant food. The others you're adding are totally unnecessary.

Hello,

Thanks for the info, I was always curious to how much I need the other products.

Many thanks,
Stefan
This is for tapwater. With HMA water you shouldn't need to add anything.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
SGGT

black ghost wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 18:55 pm
SGGT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 16:31 pm

Hello,

Many thanks,
Stefan
This is for tapwater. With HMA water you shouldn't need to add anything.
So I can imagine the only thing I would really need then is Leaf zone, or a plant fertiliser.

Is leaf zone any good? Or is there any other suggestions of good fertilisers?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Wherever you live, I find it's always best to keep fish that go with the water in that area.
That way you don't have to play with the tapwater and save a lot of time. ;)
The only thing I use is a conditioner once the tank is cycled (I, as well as many on here) use the Seachem Prime as you don't need much and it lasts for years.
I do use a bacteria booster when adding fish (you have the Stress Zyme), just to help balance the tank while the filter "munchers" are catching up.
Do you already have the fish on the list you've posted or is that a wish list?
I ask as angels and clown loaches will get way too big for the tank, need softer water and will stunt in a small tank and die early.
Angels can just about be kept in a 3' tank for a breeding pair, any more and the tank should be at least 4'.
Clown loaches should be kept in groups of 6 at a minimum as they are very gregarious, get to around 14" and therefore need an absolute minimum 5' tank.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Martinspuddle

SGGT wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 22:51 pm So I can imagine the only thing I would really need then is Leaf zone, or a plant fertiliser.

Is leaf zone any good? Or is there any other suggestions of good fertilisers?
There's not really any bad fertilisers, just some have specific uses. API Leaf Zone is a good all round fertiliser.