Its official...

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
ThePizzaMan
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 13 times

It's official. I'm back in the hobby.

I've been saving a little while to get back into the hobby and here it is. It's happened. my order has been submitted.

Mind if I run my ginormous shopping list by you guys to make sure I didn't forget anything?

- Juwel Rio 350 LED (350l tank, will be removing the fitted internal filter).
- Eheim 1500XL Classic (although I've got hard water, I'm not going to be overstocking cichlids so thought that the thru-put of this filter to likely be adequate)
- API Master Test Kit for Freshwater
- A veritable BUTT LOAD of Seachem Flourite
- Seachem PRIME
- Seachem Flourish (and Flourish Trace, just in case)
- Python Gravel Cleaner
- Black backdrop and adhesive
- JBL CO2 system (comes with CO2 test I believe)
- A few different size nets
- 30cm Tweezers to help
- Pretty sure I've got some Acrylic egg crate stuff knocking around that I can use to protect the base of my tank
- Digital thermometer

Besides any live stock, I think that's enough to get started right? Once I've inspected the tank to make sure it hasn't been cracked during delivery or the silicon isn't dodgy I'll go out and start looking for some plants!

I've done planted tanks before but only used the liquid carbon solutions. It's never seemed to be very effective to me, but I thought this time - since I'm all grown up and saved up especially for it - I'd give it a go.

SO! Have I missed anything? Any tips? It's been a VERRRRY long time since I've done this for realsies. :)
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

The Eheim 1500XL Classic has a lot of power (2400L/h) which will be a lot for a community 350L aquarium (almost 7 x turnover).
I'm not going to be overstocking cichlids so thought that the thru-put of this filter to likely be adequate
What fish do you intend to eventually stock?
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
ThePizzaMan

Yeah, I plan to dissipate the power from the output of the filter through daisy chaining a couple spray bars together across the length of the aquarium if needs be. I have seen and heard of some horror stories where filtration and CO2 are regarded too, though I'm certain that this filter is still 'over kill' for a reasonably stocked tank. I nearly opted for two smaller filters but with some mini people in the house, space is a commodity and if I can get a "one box" solution then I should. I need to be able to keep everything I can inside the cabinet the tank comes with. I also have done A LOOOOOT of reading this afternoon since it's been a slow day at work so things might be a little fuzzy/patchy where I'm trying to jog my memory.

I hope this seems like a reasonable/rational thing to have done!

I'm going to try my hand and do a planted setup including a good amount of Emerald Dwarf Rasboras (Celestichthys Erythromicron I think?) if only I can find some!
Last edited by ThePizzaMan on Tue Jan 21, 2020 17:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePizzaMan

Haven't got a plan B yet, but I love Danionids in general. I wanted to get my aquascape done and the tank cycle started while I did some more reading on the side!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1415 times
Been liked: 3407 times

Plan A sounds fine.
How hard is the water where you live? Which is your closest town?
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 13 x Cory sterbai 52 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)