Tank Mate Reccomendations

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
mattindevon
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 50 times

codheadjohn wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 14:49 pmYour fish choices are always restricted. Hard water has fewer choices, but there are still lots of nice fish that live in hard water.
Just had a quick flick through a book and it's as I thought, with livebearers and rainbows being the most obvious picks for hard water. Perhaps some sailfin mollies or some brightly coloured swordtails would fit the bill?
AquaEl 60x30x30: 7 x Male Guppy, 2 x Hillstream Loach, 2 x Albino Cory, 2 x Bronze Cory, 1 x Golden Eyed Dwarf Cichlid
CoopTroop91

Hi All and thank you for your responses.

Would the dwarf gourami still be a good choice for hard water?

And how many would be suitable in a 125L aquarium?

I read something about 1 inch of fish per gallon of water but dont know how true of a rule that is.
Jon_D
Posting Legend
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 774 times

@CoopTroop91 You emntioned......"a soil bottom and sand ontop ". I tried that when I first started with my tank. Its a good idea but be aware that the soil will soon leach through the sand and you will need to filter it out as it permeates the tank water. Afetr 12 months I amstill cleaning my filters of the soil every week during water changes. To lessen the problem, I have covered the sand with very small pebbles; the bonus of this is that the Corydoras love it as it traps fallen food and also doesn't hurt their barbles.
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3416 times

Jon_D wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 19:51 pm @CoopTroop91 You emntioned......"a soil bottom and sand ontop ". I tried that when I first started with my tank. Its a good idea but be aware that the soil will soon leach through the sand and you will need to filter it out as it permeates the tank water. Afetr 12 months I amstill cleaning my filters of the soil every week during water changes. To lessen the problem, I have covered the sand with very small pebbles; the bonus of this is that the Corydoras love it as it traps fallen food and also doesn't hurt their barbles.
Sorry Jon.
I use Tropica plant substrate about 1 cm thick, this is then topped with at least 2 cm of sand.
I have approx 2cm of sand at the front of the aquarium and approx 5cm of sand at the rear.
The plant substrate does not leach in to the aquarium unless you pull the plants up and it just lifts a little of the substrate.

If the aquarium is set up correctly with decent plant substrate and decent grained sand then it should not be a problem.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)