Can you cycle a small tank (fish-in) in a week?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
bensmithuk
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

New to fishkeeping. Have tried to read a lot but confused by what feels contradictory advice… (25L tank)

Summarising online advice: Fish-less cycle is best but if you have to / need to do fish-in then water change whenever you reach these levels: Ammonia 0.5ppm, Nitrate 0.5ppm or Nitrate 20ppm. This could take up to a few months.

My local store: Cycle your new tank fish-in and let Ammonia / Nitrite spike up to 'high' levels. You only need to be concerned / water change if the levels stay high for 4-5 days. This should take a a week or 2 max.

Can anyone help me understand what feels like a huge difference? Some or all of it may be me misunderstanding what I am being told.
John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 90 times

Your local store should be ashamed of themselves. High levels of ammonia will kill your fish or severely shorten their life if they survive.

If you go to the guides section on this site there’s good info on how to cycle your tank.

Cycling without fish is best. It seems daunting but once you start it becomes easy.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Hello and welcome
As above, fishless cycle is the way to go.
Very good guides on here to help. Patience is needed because it can be frustrating waiting to add fish.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

That shop will kill your fish in no time. Please don't go back there. The online advice isn't much better.
Fish-in cycling is always harmful to the fish involved. It makes them suffer but not die, which some people are ok with, but isn't right.
Cycling is easy. Read the guide fr499y linked. :)
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

I'm wondering if with the title 'Can you cycle a small tank (fish-in) in a week?' has the OP has already got fish?

Seems to me aquatic stores are only interested in one thing, making a profit. :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
If you already have fish then use something like Tetra Safestart or Seachem Stability alongside the water changes to help build the "munchers" in the filter to cycle.
If you don't have fish, the fishless is always the better way to go.
Certainly what the shop told you is offensive, especially to fish. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
bensmithuk
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

Thank you for the warm welcome and the gentle advice.

We do have fish in the tank now. It is 8 weeks old and we have 1 Betta and 2 Neon Tetras in there - we started off with 6 Tetras but lost 4*.

I *thought* we had cycled the tank but either (a) I was wrong or (b) some accidentally non-conditioned water (3 of the Tetras died within 48hrs of this) crashed things.

For at least 3 weeks we've been at:
0ppm Ammonia (all the time)
0.25-0.5ppm Nitrite
Up to 40ppm Nitrate

I was doing 25-50% water changes every time the Nitrate got to 40ppm or more. That was nearly daily at one point, but my local store tells me this is preventing the Nitrite > Nitrate part of the cycle from completing and I should let Nitrite spike.

I'm adding bacteria (Nite-Out 2) daily whilst the tank is uncycled.

I wish we'd done a fish-out cycle now but were led by a long and very detailed chat with local store as the online info was overwhelming and seemed inconsistent.

* I'm aware theTetras need to be kept in groups ideally more than 6 but not adding any more fish until tank is ready.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

anything above 0 for nitrite is deadly to fish, so no.. never let the nitrite rise. as soon as you detect some in the tank, do a water change.

Also 25L is too small for tetras and is more suitable for the single betta on its own :)