Red cherry shrimp eggs

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

I got 5 red cherry shrimp on Sunday. Turns out one of them is carrying a load of eggs, I’m presuming and hoping the fish will eat them eventually?

But, they are pooping SO much! I did a water change yesterday to dilute the tannins, and I’ve just turned the light on and there is poop EVERYWHERE! All they’ve been doing since I got them is eating the algae, the fish eat all the food I give them in a minute or so, so I’m pretty sure it’s not the fish being over fed and I haven’t seen all this mess before today. Is it ok to leave this on the sand for a few days? I’m planning on water changes every 4 days or so (tannins!) is that gonna be okay leaving all that poop around? That sand was clean last night!
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Fish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 17:08 pm Image
That's not the Shrimp poop but from the fish.

Can't remember what you have, Neocaridina shrimp eggs hatch every 28 - 30 days. If your fish are small and the shrimp have plenty of hiding spaces many should survive.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Fish

Is it? Wow, how have I not seen this until today, could they have been constipated? I did give them frozen brine shrimp yesterday and there was a 20 second party where they hoovered them up!

I only have the 9 galaxy rasbora since last Thursday/friday (I can’t remember). They’ve been sparring so much more today and lots of chasing. Earlier I watched 2 of them pick on another and head butt him into the moss :( I might test the water, it’s the first day I’ve been brave enough not to.

They have tiny mouths so I guess I’m gonna have more shrimp lol
DuzMano
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 15 times

Fish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:11 pm They have tiny mouths so I guess I’m gonna have more shrimp lol
Baby shrimp are more than tiny, less than 2mm and perfect food for nano fish...
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
Martinspuddle

If the amount poop has increased I'd suggest maybe your feeding them a little much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martinspuddle

DuzMano wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:26 pm
Fish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:11 pm They have tiny mouths so I guess I’m gonna have more shrimp lol
Their around .20 of a millimetre when they hatch. ;]

You be surprised how many will survive, especially if your fish are well fed.
Fish

DuzMano wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:26 pm
I hope so!
Fish

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:28 pm If the amount poop has increased I'd suggest maybe your feeding them a little much.
They do eat everything in just over a minute, and I already worry about the 2 smaller guys that hang around the back when I feed them. Maybe it was just too much of the brine shrimp 🤔 the only visible waste I’ve hoovered up before today was algae I’d scraped off of the glass that collected around the grass roots. Tests all came out good so don’t know why they’ve all gone nuts today with extra poop to add! Will keep my eye on it and lessen food if it carries on.
Martinspuddle

Fish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:56 pm
Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:28 pm If the amount poop has increased I'd suggest maybe your feeding them a little much.
They do eat everything in just over a minute, and I already worry about the 2 smaller guys that hang around the back when I feed them. Maybe it was just too much of the brine shrimp 🤔 the only visible waste I’ve hoovered up before today was algae I’d scraped off of the glass that collected around the grass roots. Tests all came out good so don’t know why they’ve all gone nuts today with extra poop to add! Will keep my eye on it and lessen food if it carries on.
A minute! ...that's an eternity. :dodgy2:

Mines gone in less the 10 to 20 seconds and I only three or four days in any week.

I would worry too much about the two small fish, they soon have their diet supplemented with newly hatched shrimp.
Fish

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 20:25 pm
Fish wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 19:56 pm
A minute! ...that's an eternity. :dodgy2:

Mines gone in less the 10 to 20 seconds and I only three or four days in any week.

I would worry too much about the two small fish, they soon have their diet supplemented with newly hatched shrimp.
I swear someone said eat it all in under a minute before 😬 I guess I’ll have to cut it down then (but also feel mean as they obviously enjoy it). It’s also quite hard to feed them, they all swim to the back when they see me so I’m having to feed them like a ninja from the side and moving slowly 🤣

Fair point on the small ones getting their fill on baby shrimp!