Red cherry shrimp eggs

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4260 times
Been liked: 3919 times

What you have to remember is that fish in the wild never know when the next meal is coming, so they grab what they can when it's available.

Aquarium kept fish will always have the same behaviour, so care must given to the amounts they receive.

Excess food = Means excess waste, nutrients causes unwanted algae growth, which in turn can cause poor water quality that can lead to health issues in the home aquarium.

Finally be aware, poor water quality through over feeding will cause demise of your shrimp population in short order.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

If you get bottom feeders then you don't want all the food gone in 10 seconds as none will get down to them (I keep guppies and panda corys together)!
A minute is a good guide, but you do want it gone quickly to stop the problems that Martin mentions.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Fish
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 23:16 pm What you have to remember is that fish in the wild never know when the next meal is coming, so they grab what they can when it's available.

Aquarium kept fish will always have the same behaviour, so care must given to the amounts they receive.

Excess food = Means excess waste, nutrients causes unwanted algae growth, which in turn can cause poor water quality that can lead to health issues in the home aquarium.

Finally be aware, poor water quality through over feeding will cause demise of your shrimp population in short order.
Yeah I was thinking that after I replied to you previously. I don’t over feed my dogs and they’re very greedy (labs) but very fit and slim. I did read about the shrimps not being happy if the water changes in anyway too. If anything I think I’m being too obsessively worried about the water atm and feel like I need to chill out a bit. I’m still testing everyday! It’s all learning and I don’t think I’m doing too bad atm 🙂
Fish

plankton wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 am If you get bottom feeders then you don't want all the food gone in 10 seconds as none will get down to them (I keep guppies and panda corys together)!
A minute is a good guide, but you do want it gone quickly to stop the problems that Martin mentions.
I only have the mini rabbit snail, the shrimp and the galaxy rasbora. I’m still trying to decide what to put in there as the final fish. It was a toss up between harlequin rasbora, white cloud minnow or dwarf emerald rasbora. But I’d quite like it if whichever I went with also ate tiny baby shrimp to keep them under control! Aqadviser tell me adding 6 of any of those will take me to about 60% full so they shouldn’t be over crowded. I then started looking at a scarlet badis last night but I’m not sure if one would be happy by itself and 2 may fight, and apparently it’s really fussy and only eats live food (which is okay if the shrimp constantly mate) and I’d rather not have to make sure I always stock live food, so thinking probably not one of them.

So I currently need to decide on a group that don’t grow too big, won’t eat my galaxy rasbora or adult shrimp, are okay in hard water, and want to eat tiny baby shrimp. Preferably in the next week just in case the shrimp with eggs has been holding on to them for a while before coming to me!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5069 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Don't get harlequins, they'll get too big for your tank. The dwarf emeralds would be much better. ;)
If you go for badis then get a trio - one male, two females. I'm not sure how they'd react to the bigger minnows though as they do stay pretty small, but lovely fish.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Fish

plankton wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 13:24 pm Don't get harlequins, they'll get too big for your tank. The dwarf emeralds would be much better. ;)
If you go for badis then get a trio - one male, two females. I'm not sure how they'd react to the bigger minnows though as they do stay pretty small, but lovely fish.
This is why everything is so confusing 🤣 Seriously fish and aqadvisor reckon the harlequins would be okay in my tank 🤷‍♀️ And that’s with putting the tank dimensions slightly smaller so it comes up as 53l (mine is 56l), they say it’ll be 63% full.
Staffylover
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 2280 times
Been liked: 1946 times

I have kept Scarlett Badis before I would not recommend them for a community, they are tiny and shy and slow eaters they do not compete well with others, there is a larger version called Badis Badis or Blue Perch that might be more suited but I've not kept those myself, if Harlequins are suitable except for being too large then consider Espei Rasbora, very similar in terms of colour and behaviour but stay smaller, I keep some and in a fairly dark tank they do stand out well :)
500l - Africa river - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6873
2x200l - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7790
Others - https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =15&t=7411
230L 6ft - Shallow stream
Roma 125l - Holding fish
Qubiq 60 - Dwarf Spotted Danio
40l/25L - Black- bellied Limia/Pygmy Sunfish
Fish

No baby shrimp. She died :( Think it was my fault. I did a larger than meant to water change, I was concentrating so much on trying to siphon the poo up I accidentally took out about 50% of the water. Apparently water changes can make them moult so I presume this is what happened and it went wrong. The other 4 are fine, but after not seeing her for about 4 days I’ve just found a very dead shrimp body.
Fish

Omg ignore me, I’ve just seen her with her eggs still?! She’d disappeared for 4 or 5 days. I saw everyone else this morning, and now she’s suddenly appeared, definitely the same one that had eggs before as she’s the biggest. I’m so confused. 🤣 I guess the one I found that I thought was dead was just the exoskeleton - it looked white and meaty though (broken up).
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1792 times
Been liked: 4240 times

Yup that’ll be a molt.