Hey All

Tell us a bit about yourself!
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

black ghost wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:53 pm If you’re treating whitespot with a chemical treatment, DO NOT raise the temperature. The treatment is designed to hit the whitespot at the appropriate stages of its life cycle. Raising the temperature speeds up the life cycle so the treatment probably won’t work.

To treat whitespot use EITHER a chemical treatment OR heat. Not both. (To kill it with heat you need 32C).
I don't understand, does a higher temperature stop the meds from working?
If it doesn't then wouldn't increasing the temp a bit (not enough to hurt the fish) mean the whitespot goes through it's cycle quicker resulting in the tank not needing treatment for as long?
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5479 times
Been liked: 2684 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 16:06 pm
black ghost wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:53 pm If you’re treating whitespot with a chemical treatment, DO NOT raise the temperature. The treatment is designed to hit the whitespot at the appropriate stages of its life cycle. Raising the temperature speeds up the life cycle so the treatment probably won’t work.

To treat whitespot use EITHER a chemical treatment OR heat. Not both. (To kill it with heat you need 32C).
I don't understand, does a higher temperature stop the meds from working?
If it doesn't then wouldn't increasing the temp a bit (not enough to hurt the fish) mean the whitespot goes through it's cycle quicker resulting in the tank not needing treatment for as long?
Some medications can lower the oxygen content of water and also warmer water doesn’t retain as much oxygen as colder water. This is more the issue when doing both. You can also cause a spike in ammonia etc if you raise the temp too quick and cause a shock to the bacteria in the filter, which also causes breathing/oxygen issues as the ammonia prevents the gils from absorbing oxygen.
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Birchbud
Has liked: 4 times

Thank you so much for explaining, this is great. First dose of esha is in. Crossing fingers. He ate well this evening though so I'm counting that as a good sign
Gingerlove05
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Has liked: 5479 times
Been liked: 2684 times

Yeah thats a good sign. Mollys, guppies (and most livebearers) will eat until they split so if they have no appetite then there’s something wrong (just dont overfeed them ;))
I have used the esha meds before for whitespot, they worked for me. Just follow the instructions. If they start gasping at the surface or acting lethargic do a water change.

PS Welcome to AF-UK :)
To the tune of “the saints go marching in”:
Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful, they’re white Welsh and fluffy! Oh fluffy sheep are wonderful!
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1422 times
Been liked: 3421 times

Hi and welcome to the forum.
plankton wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:08 pm 6dGH is very soft for mollies (guppies can just about put up with it), they prefer it between 11dGH and 19dGH.
I agree; molly need hard water.
I would be more inclined to stock soft water fish species and avoid hard water species.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 13 x Cory caudimaculatus, 10 x Cory sterbai 49 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)