Pygmy golden swordtail

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

jammedfool wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 20:33 pm This one is all better now.. now another one is doing some dodgy swimming this evening..
not sure if it bumped into the glass as I turned the light on, but it seems to be darting around, getting to the place it wants eventually but in zigzag motions.. stays still fine but almost darting on its side sometimes..

any idea? I'm here fearing the worst because i witnessed the last one of these pass away doing similar, only on the substrate and not going anywhere :s
Sounds like water issues...
jammedfool
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 301 times

I tested and got i think 0/0/5 last night... it was getting late and I couldnt tell between 0 and 0.25 on ammonia, but I had also added some bug bites a few minutes earlier, so that may have influenced things if it was indeed 0.25.
As a precaution I added prime and stability, along with melafix to try to calm the fish down.
This morning, there are no deaths or signs of similar behaviour...

Would you suggest a possible ammonia spike? Not sure why, and my shrimp all seem ok... would a tiny piece of boiled carrot affect things e.g. if I left it in there and lost under some wood... just for example...?
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

jammedfool wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 14:32 pm I tested and got i think 0/0/5 last night... it was getting late and I couldnt tell between 0 and 0.25 on ammonia, but I had also added some bug bites a few minutes earlier, so that may have influenced things if it was indeed 0.25.
As a precaution I added prime and stability, along with melafix to try to calm the fish down.
This morning, there are no deaths or signs of similar behaviour...

Would you suggest a possible ammonia spike? Not sure why, and my shrimp all seem ok... would a tiny piece of boiled carrot affect things e.g. if I left it in there and lost under some wood... just for example...?
I'd do a waterchange to be on the safe side. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Don't test for at least 2 hours after feeding in future, it can affect the readings as they get excited and excrete, so the filter needs a little time to catch up, but a water change never does any harm, doesn't have to be massive.
jammedfool

You may get bored of this subject... but I think I may have a male!

Hard to see maybe but I definitely saw the anal fin go fully vertical as the fish was displaying its fins as well as having a "detached" part to the anal fin..

40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Update

3 of the 4 are actually males...

So thats the opposite problem to what I thought I had!

On the plus side, the one female has been like this for maybe 2 weeks now, the gravid spot getting larger each time I look.. with a 1 month gestation period, I could be looking at fry in a week or 2!

Plenty of Java moss and floating plants, so hopefully I get some survive 😁
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Can't be long!!

40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss
jammedfool

Hey all, it's been a little while again.. busy few months! Wanted to share my most exciting fishkeeping moment so far.

Having waited for weeks or this one female to give birth, I did some maintenence just before going on holiday the other week (left lights off for the week) and came back to this :woo:
I can only see just the one though!

I also sneakily snuck in an upgrade tank before we went away to set up for these guys as I think for them to really thrive they need something a little larger... I spotted a 2ft ~60L tank for £10 on marketplace, which I'm currently looking for a stand to fit it on and to move to the office/spare room, out of the direct light which is currently causing the algae you see (and my continued need to get better at regular water changes etc.)
40L nano
4x xiphophorus pygmaeus
Cherry shrimp
2x assassin snail

80L 'stairway'
4x Cherry Barb
10x X-ray tetra
4x Amano
1x Dwarf Neon Rainbow

20L Qtank
just java moss