Not eating

Food, feeding and diet.
saiwong
Been liked: 5 times

I have a guppy that does not go to surface when I put in flake food. If I hold flake food in front of his face he will readily eat it. However any food that sinks down he won't chase and will ignore. Why is this ?
Vale!
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Super Mod - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1302 times

He's blind?

Do his eyes look injured/infected? If not (and if you've no reason to think he was blind from birth) then some kind of internal failure may have happened - optic nerve damage or a gene suddenly misbehaving perhaps?

It's worth us keeping in mind (IMO) that much of a fish's DNA is exactly the same as ours and they may suffer from diseases which are exactly analagous to diseases which may affect us due to genes switching on or off inappropriately. I guess fish may 'go blind' just as some people unfortunately do.
saiwong
Been liked: 5 times

Vale! wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 15:01 pm He's blind?

Do his eyes look injured/infected? If not (and if you've no reason to think he was blind from birth) then some kind of internal failure may have happened - optic nerve damage or a gene suddenly misbehaving perhaps?

It's worth us keeping in mind (IMO) that much of a fish's DNA is exactly the same as ours and they may suffer from diseases which are exactly analagous to diseases which may affect us due to genes switching on or off inappropriately. I guess fish may 'go blind' just as some people unfortunately do.
I don't believe the guppy is blind. He has no visible injuries.
He has his spot in the aquarium and is territorial and protective of it. He can spot any fish coming close from miles away and chase it away, then return back to his area. Don't know if he is just a fussy eater.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5065 times
Been liked: 3426 times

I've never known a fussy guppy, mine eat (almost literally) anything.....
Mind you I don't feed flake any more, only granules/pellets.