Help!

The Aquatic Beard

I have what i believe to be a chinese algae eater. He's about 4 inches long i'd say and not aggressive, just grumpy. I have him in my mini pond at the moment in his log (he loves it) but he just doesn't come out. I would put him in one of my tanks but if he doesn't like a plant then he'll uproot it plus if he's in a grumpy mood he'll swim as fast as he can around the tank, so i dont wamt him upsetting the tank. 

Just dont know what to do with him!
stuaz
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

The Aquatic Beard wrote: I have what i believe to be a chinese algae eater. He's about 4 inches long i'd say and not aggressive, just grumpy. I have him in my mini pond at the moment in his log (he loves it) but he just doesn't come out. I would put him in one of my tanks but if he doesn't like a plant then he'll uproot it plus if he's in a grumpy mood he'll swim as fast as he can around the tank, so i dont wamt him upsetting the tank. 

If you can't find a suitable solution within your home, then maybe try your local fish store. Often they will take in fish that you can no longer keep.
The Aquatic Beard

stuaz wrote:
The Aquatic Beard wrote: I have what i believe to be a chinese algae eater. He's about 4 inches long i'd say and not aggressive, just grumpy. I have him in my mini pond at the moment in his log (he loves it) but he just doesn't come out. I would put him in one of my tanks but if he doesn't like a plant then he'll uproot it plus if he's in a grumpy mood he'll swim as fast as he can around the tank, so i dont wamt him upsetting the tank. 

If you can't find a suitable solution within your home, then maybe try your local fish store. Often they will take in fish that you can no longer keep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

really hope it doesnt come to that because he's one of my favourites!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5030 times
Been liked: 3395 times

What is it in with, and how big is this "pond"?
They tend to end up sucking the protective mucus off other fish and killing them.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
The Aquatic Beard

plankton wrote: What is it in with, and how big is this "pond"?
They tend to end up sucking the protective mucus off other fish and killing them.
There is a pearl scale, 4 mountain minnows, 4 mollies (two babies) and a platy. The tub is about 60 litres or so i'd say, lots of room for them all and Terry (the algae eater) has been in with them before in a tank.

He spends all his time in the log, been in about a week now and i've seen him twice. He's never showed aggression towards other fish
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

60l sounds small - they get to 7" and tend to get aggressive at around 2.5"/3"

Ian
The Aquatic Beard

60l was all i could do! I'm planning a big upgrade soon though for all my fish bar the betta. I know he can get big but like i said he hasnt show aggression just yet!
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod

Just keep your eye on them. ;)

Ian
The Aquatic Beard

plankton wrote: Just keep your eye on them. ;)
Yeah i am doing, Just one of the mollies is being very shy and hides at the bottom