How to "Cycle" new filtration media (outwith filter)

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
oilman4345
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Hi.
I have a JBL Profi 902 filter for my 200 gallon tank. I have cleaned it several times but it is mainly coarse pads above a ceramic cylindrical base.
Having watched "PondGuru" on YouTube, I like the idea to vary my filter media considerably. However, I would think that if I replace most of my existing media I would lose the bacteria which has existed for a long time .
How would you suggest I do this for replacing OEM pads with what he recommends as well as some more ceramic type media.? I do not have a spare tank to age the media.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

Gradually, a little at a time.

Ammonia comes from food, so if you change say, a fifth of the media, and reduce feeding by a fifth (or more?) for a day or three, you should be fine.
The bacteria will soon catch up.

Monitor ammonia and nitrite just in case, and have some Prime or a water change on standby, but if you change it gradually and reduce feeding you shouldn’t have a problem.

After a few days of zero readings after a change, you could change some more.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Why do you want to change your filter media?
If it is under performing somehow then that's a good reason but if it's because a filter media salesman told you to then that's not such a good reason.
I watched a video he did on Fluvial FX filters, they have a channel round the bottom to distribute water across all of the sponges. He crammed the channel with his media which will affect the way the filter works, he really doesn't care much about what he's doing as long as it gets him sales.
black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I have heard good and bad reviews about his advice...
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5082 times
Been liked: 3435 times

I've not changed any media since 1998, added more when the filters have been replaced, but never changed, except for polypads where used.
Just rinse them out every month on a rota system for each filter (I have four tanks and it's quite hard keeping up with rotations for four filters ;) ).
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4271 times
Been liked: 3922 times

Unless you have serious issues with water stability, if it ain't broke, why fix it?! :dodgy2:
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: