A question regarding polyester filling.

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Nick Jarvis
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 120 times

Hi folks, long time no see.
I have a question regarding polyester filling that I could only trust to be answered here.
For years I have been using the polyester filling from the range as filter floss but now I need more and they seem to not sell it anymore and is unavailable from there website.
I was going to just rip a pillow up instead until I seen "filling complies with fire safety regulations 1988" or something along those lines on the label.
I then searched exactly what that means and it means it is cigarette resistant.
So is this unsafe?
I looked online at dunelms polyester filling and that also says the same thing.
So, as I don't want to spend £5.99 for a handful from p@h as I need a lot more to be of use in my 210L sump, where should I buy it from?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to hearing from my old pals again, Ian, Iain and the rest of you.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I used to work in a furniture testing lab, putting cigarettes and flames on bedding 😁. Polyester rarely ignites whether it has been treated in not. It just melts. That being said, bedding used to contain biocides, which are now banned with natural versions taking their place. I've been out of that industry for too long to know what they would be though. If it was an old pillow you were tearing up, I'd definitely not use it. What about Hobbycraft? My wife buys hers in there for crafting..
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Nick Jarvis
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 120 times

BigBen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 22:32 pm I used to work in a furniture testing lab, putting cigarettes and flames on bedding 😁. Polyester rarely ignites whether it has been treated in not. It just melts. That being said, bedding used to contain biocides, which are now banned with natural versions taking their place. I've been out of that industry for too long to know what they would be though. If it was an old pillow you were tearing up, I'd definitely not use it. What about Hobbycraft? My wife buys hers in there for crafting..
The pillow is approximately 5 years old. Do you think it might be worth the risk or not?
Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Take a look HERE 5 Metre Roll of Filter Wool for £9.99

Good to see you again Nick ::thumbu::
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)