Floating plants and flow

John Linklater
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 91 times

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any floating plants that would survive in a moderate flow. I have dwarf water lettuce in my betta tank and moved it to my middle tank which is a 75 litre with an oase internal filter but the pants died within a month or so. The tank already has Java moss, java fern, some hornwort and some elodea densa in it which are all doing well but it's the look of a small floating plant similar to dwarf water lettuce that I'm after. I could try amazon frogbit but it didn't even grow in my betta tank.

Any suggestions welcome, Ph is 6.8 kh 2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate pretty low, usually under 20 as it's lightly stocked and I haven't used any ferts in the tank.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1799 times
Been liked: 4279 times

floating plants don't get on with flow as it causes them to tumble. You could leave some Riccardia chamedryfolia floating which will certainly thrive in high flow.
John Linklater

fr499y wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:40 am floating plants don't get on with flow as it causes them to tumble. You could leave some Riccardia chamedryfolia floating which will certainly thrive in high flow.
Cheers, hadn't heard of that. Will order some and give it a bash ::thumbu::
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

I have two externals in my angel tank and sylvinia grows like wild fire. I've only ever grown frogbit in low flow
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I find floating plants are more sensitive to nutrient deficiencies, it might be that rather than the flow.
John Linklater

Thanks guys. Ordered some salvinia.

Never thought about nutrient deficiencies. I’m not dosing anything so might be that. Maybe the other plants using up everything. Tank has only been stocked since start of December.