How much food is right?

Angel's, Discus, Oscars, Rams, Malawi etc.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I picked up a juvenile red spotted severum at the weekend and it's in the quarantine tank (aren't I good), it's about 4" long and has been happily tucking into shrimp and snails that were left in the tank. Now most of the larder has gone I realised I have no idea how much these things eat.
There are various live plants in there and I added a lettuce leaf but it really loves frozen bloodworm, I'm not sure the 2 minute guide is right as it will gulp down a whole (defrosted) cube in that time.
I've read that too much bloodworm will give them constipation so how much should a growing lad/lass be given in a day?

black ghost
Posting Legend
Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 1391 times

I tend to feed most fish until they stop eating, or close to it, 2-4 times a day. And I’ve never had a problem with bloodworm, which I assume is because I only buy good bloodworm. If it’s anything other than bright red don’t buy it. If it’s dark red or brown it needs to go in the bin. I feed bloodworm 2-3 times a week.

Edit….. You can’t feed all fish as much as they’ll eat, because some don’t know when to stop. It’s fine with most cichlids though. And the more water you change, the hungrier the fish will be.
I don't keep fish, I keep water. Water keeps fish.