Pregnant molly (again) ?

Viviparous or Live bearing fish - Mollies, Platties, Guppies
puffin
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Hi.

I've a biOrb TUBE 15 with a couple of mollies and a swordtail (and three molly fry). The female molly (orange) gave birth a few weeks ago to about 30 fry, and after a lot of frustration and effort, I managed to get them out and was able to find a new home for them (apart from the three that were missed and pleasingly are now thriving).

My reason for posting is that the female looks pregnant again, and the tank simply can't sustain another 20+ fry.

Firstly, based on your experience, could someone comment if this molly looks pregnant ? If so, I wondered if there is anyone who could rehome the molly in a tank that would allow her and the fry the space they need then I'd be very grateful. Our tank simply couldn't cope of course.

I live in Manchester, and would be happy to 'deliver' the fish in the North West if anyone were so kind ...

Thanks.

Stephen
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Guru Multi TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1419 times
Been liked: 3414 times

Hi and welcome

Just a couple of observations.
The biOrb TUBE 15 (15L) aquarium is not big enough to house Molly long-term.
The soft Manchester water is too soft for Molly as they actually need hard water as do Swordtails.

All the best
425L SeaBray Elite aquarium - Rio Mamoré (Bolivia) theme
4 x Cupid Cichlids, 14 x Cory caudimaculatus, 11 x Cory sterbai 51 x Reed Tetra, 4 x Honeycomb Bristlenose (L519)

Powered by EHEIM
puffin

Appreciate the comments. The tank size comment is noted, although my well-established LFS saw no issues at the time of my purchasing the black balloon and the orange. Obviously the three fry (that I missed in my removal) will need separately catering for in the near future.

Re your comment on hardwater, I've had mollies on and off for 15 years, and never had any noticeable issues. My LFS (in Manchester area) never raised concerns, and in fact mollies are one of their best-sellers. As such, how would you see the local low water hardness as potentially negatively impacting mollies ?
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
Here's a post I made a few years ago about hardwater fish (mollies) and requirements which may help you to understand @Stephen's comment. :)
She does look pregnant again, so must have had a few sperm sacs stored away if the other molly isn't male. (Sorry if I'm teaching you to "suck eggs" if you've kept them for years)
Mollies do have the potential to get between 5" and 8", depending on the genes, so a small tank can cause development problems long-term.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
puffin

Thanks for the reply plankton and for the education about tank size. Northing I've ever been told by my LFS over the years.
(BTW, I don't see a link to the post you mention about hardwater -- how do I get that ?).

The other molly is male (we suspect) as he regularly spends days 'sniffing' at her underside. Nonetheless, the issue I'm faced with is still that of care for her and the future new fry. I can maybe try and buy a second tank (quickly) and get it cycled and conditioned, but my preference remains some kind-hearted soul offering to take care of her and her young.
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Theres also this in the guides that might be helpful :)

https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewto ... =14&t=1494
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Sorry about omitting the link....old age you know... ;) :rolleyes:
https://www.aquariumforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=228
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
puffin

Really interesting and educational. Thanks.