Off the scale nitrite spike!!! AT LAST!!!

Request information on fish, plants or other aquarium issues.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

I have used them sparingly in my main tank and never noticed any trouble, but most of my ferts go into the water as an EI mix.
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 15:31 pm I have used them sparingly in my main tank and never noticed any trouble, but most of my ferts go into the water as an EI mix.
I will leave it a while till they have dissolved completely and the water changes have rid the column of any traces then I will change to a new product.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Bluetaurus

Interestingly I went out to check my tank over before my week away and the previous test, after a few hours on the shelf had changed from red to orange.
Just done 2 tests on the tank in question and both clear. Zero nitrites.
Don't add up as I planted the root tabs a few days ago and would imagine they should of leached through the sand by now.
Not a man of science but guess there is an explanation for that.
Done a further test on the cup with root tabs which is now completely disintegrated and it read 0.25 to 0.50ppm.
Not as red as this morning.
Low tech set up.
LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Could it be your filter isn't doing it's job very well and is the reason for the swings. I can't remember if that's already been covered.
Bluetaurus

LookoutTrout wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 18:05 pm Could it be your filter isn't doing it's job very well and is the reason for the swings. I can't remember if that's already been covered.
Yes it's a possibility. I have a bigger filter which will be in place on my return from holidays.
I'll run both.
However that does not explain the cup water changing colour. So it must be a false positive, the fish are healthy, eating, swimming.its been over one month after all.
Low tech set up.