Tackling BBA

The science behind successful fishkeeping.
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Is there anything safe that I can soak wood in to kill off BBA? Reason is I’ll be moving some from old tank to new but I’ve got plenty time.

I’m wary of using bleach for obvious reasons especially with wood and soaking it in.

I poured boiling water over some in a bucket the other night and it turned green when I put it back in the tank, I’m not really sure what that means.

Can always just repeatedly keep going with hydrogen peroxide if all else fails.
Andys temperate tank
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Tank of the Year Winner 2020-21
Has liked: 4378 times
Been liked: 2896 times

I've used quantum bba remover before. It works but you must follow the instructions to the letter.
64l kitchen tank: 16 golden tetra.
5ft 425L: 3 blue angel fish, 30 rummie nose tetra, 20 black neon tetra, 1 longfin bristlenose plec, 2 corydoras sterbai, 24 corydoras duplicareas,2 SAE.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

H2O2 usually sorts it quite quickly and then you just have to brush it off when it stops being green....
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Sixo
Posting Legend
Has liked: 530 times
Been liked: 310 times

Had this out the tank a while now, done Hydrogen Peroxide spraying, dipping, toothbrush scrubbing and boiling water. I can’t tell if I’m winning or not. Don’t know if it’s because it’s got so many nooks & crannies it’s just difficult to get in about. Considering buying a fresh piece, really want to minimise the risk of it spreading to my new tank.

Last photo is the before of course.

LookoutTrout
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 337 times

Are you ever going to be rid of it though?
I had a bit of a BBA boom recently, I hadn't been paying attention. I can get rid of it much quicker than it grows so I'm just resolved to buying peroxide from the chemist.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5064 times
Been liked: 3426 times

Any remaining looks dead in the pics, although it doesn't look like there's much (if any)......
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
VikingMummy2015
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 1827 times

LookoutTrout wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:17 am I get spots of BBA growing on the glass at the front where I know there's a reasonable amount of flow but not loads. I'm far from convinced it's a still water problem.
Same…mine only started appearing months after I upped my filter and flow! Just found bits reappearing for the first time since stripping the tank out mid April when I moved house. All leaves were ruthlessly pruned, all plants then left sitting in an h2o2 bath for two days, I’ve been religious with my 30%+ weekly water change and tank isn’t overfed (I’m really bad at remembering to feed these days actually).
240L Fluval Roma with Oase 600 Biomaster: 1 German red bristlenose, 4 male cherry barbs, 6 standard rummynose, 3 golden rummynose tetra, 9 emperor tetra, 14 cardinal tetra, 2 hengeli rasbora, 3 nerite snails, 1 adult Sulawesi snail and multiple juveniles continually appearing.

Parameters: gH2, kH1, pH7.4 (tap).
Fish fiend since October 2017.