What is this snail, and should I keep it?

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Tursa5

Hello! :swim:
I got this snail as baby from an aquatic plant. I kept it for a while... unsure what to do with it. A week ago, someone at the pet store said to destroy it before it destroys my whole aquarium. I isolated it. I went to the pet store again today and they said that I can keep it, it eats algae and won't reproduce. I'm not really sure what's true and what isn't. What kind of snail is it and what should I do? :meh:
P.s. It's my first aquarium and I've had it for about 3 months, so the snail has been living there for that long.

Clem Fandango
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hey,

I'm no expert but found a hitch hiking snail on a plant today so spent some time looking them up. Mine was a pond snail but this looks like a bladder snail. They both seem to be less desirable in tanks and can reproduce quickly. However, it also seems true that their numbers would be limited if they are limited in what they have to feed off.

I removed mine.
Tursa5

I had my doubts about it being bladder snail. It does look alike. Does it actually clean the tank? I kept it in a glass for one week and it poops a ton 😅
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
It's a bladder snail.
They don't do damage. The larger pond snails will eat plants, but these are fine. If you don't like them then remove, but they can help clean and are part of the ecosystem. As long as you don't overfeed the other inhabitants then you shouldn't get too many of them.
I have snails in my tanks (except the one with loaches in) and they help indicate early signs of problems as well as helping to clear up.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Tursa5

Thank you!

And thank you, I will add it back to the aquarium. I'm still learning the correct ways to do things, I try to give very, very small amounts of food so it gets eaten right away. Just curious, how do they indicate problems?