Soda stream CO2 bottles.

BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Evening.

Can you create a CO2 kit with the soda stream CO2 bottles? I was given one for Christmas and it got me thinking. CO2 is something I've wanted to do for a while in a small tank, but have never gotten around to it

Cheers
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Yes, co2supermarket used to sell soda stream to din477 adapters. I’ve used one briefly before, but that one experience put me off for good (bad adapter that didn’t seal = sudden release of entire bottle of co2)
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4253 times
Been liked: 3917 times

BigBen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 20:50 pm Evening.

Can you create a CO2 kit with the soda stream CO2 bottles? I was given one for Christmas and it got me thinking. CO2 is something I've wanted to do for a while in a small tank, but have never gotten around to it

Cheers
CO2 for the aquarium can be expensive and I see what your trying to do. It's been done and I see @fr499y given a pointer where get an adapter, I've never gone down this route. Problem lays with cost of refills or purchasing new bottles depending on how much gas you use for your aquarium. A 60 litre Soda Stream bottle will supply a 60 litre aquarium for around two and half months, three at a stretch on a bubble count of 2bps and once you start, you cannot stop using CO2 injection, it has to be gradually reduced ...unless you want a algae outbreak!

Personally and from experience, your better off finding a local drinks supplier and purchase 'Bar Gas' which is a hell of lot cheaper. Like Gaz bottles you don't own the bottle, so a refill will be delivered to your door. Only down side is the bottle size which is usually a 15kg bottle which won't necessarily fit under your aquarium cabinet. First bottle is around £80, then exchange for a refills around £25, remembering the you have the cost on top of your own CO2 regulator, Bubble counter, CO2 piping, CO2 check valve, CO2 Diffuser and drop checker which you can get from somewhere like co2supermarket.co.uk

This all depends on what size aquarium your planning run CO2 on, anything above 100 litres and I'd go with the Bar Gas option, unless of course you can find a cheap supply of CO2 fire extinguishers. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

I will add that I've managed to run a 3ft aquarium ( 110L ish ) from a 95g co2 bottle with a proper regulator and solenoid at 1 bubble per 3 seconds for a good couple of months.

Even a tiny bit of co2 will make an enormous difference to plant health/growth.
BigBen
Previous TOTM Winner
Previous TOTM Winner
Has liked: 696 times
Been liked: 1686 times

Thanks chaps.

The thing that has put me off using CO2 recently has been that I don't drive, so getting a bottle/extinguisher somewhere and refilling it is a bit of a pain, whereas sainsburys refill soda stream bottles and they pretty portable for me to take on the bus. I'd like to set a small tank up in my office, around the 40l mark probably so it will last a while.
Instagram - @the.cornish.fishkeeper
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 75 times

Is a co2 generator kit an option?
Thinking if going that route myself. Cheap refills.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
DrawsWithLight
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

As per Lo1's post above I have a C02 Art regulator. They're not too expensive but seem to get decent reviews, I've been happy with mine so far. I struggled to find a C02 supplier around the York area which sold the smaller bottles but eventually stumbled upon Adams gas and they had a supplier on the outskirts of York. I got a 1.5kg bottle delivered for a shy over £40 in August and it's still going! Refills from now on are about £20 IIRC. It might be worth seeing if you can get them delivered if you're unable to drive?

https://www.adamsgas.co.uk/product/carb ... -home-bar/

EDIT Just spotted you're based in Truro, an Adams gas supplier is 30 miles or so away. If they can't deliver maybe try these?

https://jgassupplies.co.uk/cornwall-beer-gas-supplies/
Pleco Fan
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 209 times

Same here, I use the Co2 Art regulator and Adams gas supplier after the initial cost it's cheap to run and reliable, good luck.