Fluval Inlet Filter for Cherry Shrimp

Aquarium Decor, DIY and Equipment.
DrawsWithLight
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

I got some Otos this evening but also came home with some small cherry shrimp. I have a Fluval 307 but I’m a bit concerned that the shrimp could get sucked into the filter. I’ve put an old stocking (they weren’t mine by the way!) over it for the time being, but wonder if I’m ok with the filer inlet as it is, without the stocking, or if I need a fine mesh cage type arrangement?
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1789 times
Been liked: 4222 times

Sponge over the inlet works best for shrimp, but will need cleaning frequently.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4252 times
Been liked: 3917 times

I won't over worry to much. My Eheim Pro 4 has colony of Neocaridina shrimp living inside and everytime I do filter maintenance I just return them to the aquarium.

If your aquarium is planted heavily enough, you'll find more shrimp in the aquarium than the filter.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
DrawsWithLight

Thanks for the replies. I’ve taken on board both your advice, of sorts. I’ve bought a sponge filter but will remove it when I feel the smaller shrimp are big enough.

How long do the shrimp survive in the filter? I don’t tend to clean out the filters that often. I’ve got a decent amount of plants so I assume there’s plenty of nooks and crannies for them?

Martinspuddle

DrawsWithLight wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 18:06 pm I’ve bought a sponge filter but will remove it when I feel the smaller shrimp are big enough.
You have a job doing that, by the time you remove the sponge, the next batch of shrimplets will have hatched. Berried females either with green or yellow eggs carry them until roughly 25 to 35 days before the shrimplets hatch. You will be very lucky to see newly hatched shrimplets as they are super tiny and colourless. Even with the Neon Tetras you have, the shrimp population will soon be in it's hundreds.
DrawsWithLight wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 18:06 pm How long do the shrimp survive in the filter? I don’t tend to clean out the filters that often.
Indefinitely really, as long as there's food.
DrawsWithLight wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 18:06 pm I’ve got a decent amount of plants so I assume there’s plenty of nooks and crannies for them?
Reasonable amount I'd say, most of young shrimp will live in the moss until they get larger.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DrawsWithLight

Thank you Martin. RE sponge I was planning, rightly or wrongly, to remove it when the first stock are big enough.

I'm surprised they would survive in the filter, it doesn't seem like a very hospitable place to be?!
Martinspuddle

DrawsWithLight wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 19:46 pm Thank you Martin. RE sponge I was planning, rightly or wrongly, to remove it when the first stock are big enough.

I'm surprised they would survive in the filter, it doesn't seem like a very hospitable place to be?!
You must be joking, they have a ball in there. No predators, plenty of biofilm, food stuffs and good water flow.

I've had the blighters breed in my filter and not unusual to find a berried female in the bottom of the canister.
DrawsWithLight

I’m beginning to wonder whether I should have put them straight in the filter to get the colony going :)