Rio Tapajós, Amazonas: Pterophyllum - Acara Bandeira - Angelfish- Skalar

A section purely for videos of aquatic life in its natural habitat.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4263 times
Been liked: 3921 times

Start of the video is miss labelled, should be 'Pterophyllum altum'
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
FishBubs
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 24 times

I enjoy these vids. I would end up like a prune cos i would spend too much time oggling the wildlife. Fish are great. So are those plants in there. Do you know what they are?

Also what are these?

Martinspuddle

FishBubs wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 20:17 pm I enjoy these vids. I would end up like a prune cos i would spend too much time oggling the wildlife. Fish are great. So are those plants in there. Do you know what they are?

Not sure what Nymphaea species they are in the video. They could be any of the following: Nymphaea amazonum, Nymphaea ampla, Nymphaea jamesoniana, Nymphaea lasiophylla, Nymphaea lingulata, Nymphaea pulchella, or Nymphaea rudgeana.
FishBubs wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 20:17 pm Also what are these?
Fish! :grin: Seriously, it says in the description 'Acestrorhynchus' which means "needle jaw" ...not one for the average home aquaria. :]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martinspuddle

Martinspuddle wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 21:55 pm Seriously, it says in the description 'Acestrorhynchus' which means "needle jaw" ...not one for the average home aquaria. :]

@FishBubs, I've done some digging and found a likely candidate. These might be Acestrorhynchus falcirostris juveniles and this family of fish collectively are known by some as 'the freshwater Barracuda'

To me they are almost Pike like in appearance and apparently they do ambush their prey like a Pike. This species, the adults are around 13 inches in length and would quite a substantial size aquarium to house them.

Link: seriouslyfish.com
FishBubs
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 24 times

Looks very much like it Martin, cheers.