Fluval U3 vs 125L Roma

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Pzeppieri
Has liked: 3 times

Hi All,

I have a fluval roma 125L running for several months now. I have a fluval U3 filter on the spray bar setting creating a flow of bubbles and flow in my tank. I have floating, planted and glued plants in there with guppies and a pleco. My main question is regards an air pump, is the U3 good enough or do I need an airpump aswell? I can see a flow of bubbles flowing around my tank and my floating plants are constantly moving(good surface movent). Is the U3 enough or should I turn my air stones back on on addition?
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

The Fluval U3 Internal Filter which comes with the 125 litre Roma is perfectly sufficient for your aquarium and you shouldn't need any further surface agitation.
Pzeppieri wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:49 am guppies and a pleco.
You say 'Pleco' this not a Hypostomus plecostomus also known as the common Plecostomus? If this is, you do it's adult size.

WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5067 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
If there's a flow around the tank and the surface is moving then you don't need an airstone.
I don't use them, the pumps are too noisy for me.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
fr499y
Admin - TOTM Winner
Admin - TOTM Winner
Has liked: 1790 times
Been liked: 4232 times

Same as above, I don’t use airstones as I can’t stand the noise and water marks everywhere. If there’s no dead spots then you should be fine without one.
Pzeppieri
Has liked: 3 times

Awesome thank you all! Iv spent soo long googling for an answer to this🙌

And Martinspuddle, its a bristlenose pleco, but I am aware these can also get rather big...and by then should be able to convince my partner to agree to a bigger tank ahahaha
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4255 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Pzeppieri wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 am Awesome thank you all! Iv spent soo long googling for an answer to this🙌

And Martinspuddle, its a bristlenose pleco, but I am aware these can also get rather big...and by then should be able to convince my partner to agree to a bigger tank ahahaha
If it's Ancistrus bristlenose, then it's not an issue. As you can see from the image Hypostomus plecostomus grow somewhat larger.

Ancistrus species are recorded to grow to a length of 4.9" inches in the wild but in captivity usually no more than 3.5" for males and 3.0 - 2.5" inches for females. :]
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: