Stocking Order Question

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
LSRNSNO

Hi All!

Just a quick query from some more experienced water keepers!

I have a 180 litre tank that is newly cycled with dr tims, dosed at 2 ppm on each occasion. It is heavily planted and low tech with root tabs and fertiliser.

My stock list is as such -
1 Bristlenose pleco
6 pepper corys
12 ember tetras
12 galaxy Raspborras
12 cherry shrimp
(Yet to decide on a "centrepiece" fish but theyll be put in last)

I was originally going to put in 6 galaxy raspborra on week 1.

Week 2 was the other 6.

W3 - 6x embers, W4 - 6x embers. W5 - 12 shrimp, W6 - 6 corys, W8 - pleco, W10 - centrepiece.

I have however started with an algae bloom, and so wondered if itd be safe for me to add 6 galaxy rasbora and all 12 shrimp in one for week one, as then the shrimp will have a nice job to do and they have a relatively low bioload if ive read correctly?

If it isnt a good idea to put the shrimp and galaxies in together at the same time bioload wise... is there any paticular order that might be better to add them in terms of either less stress for the fish, or for the benefit of the BB?

For example if my tank has been cycled with approx 2ppm each time, would i be better adding the corys with probably a larger bioload first while my BB can handle it better than if i added 6 small rasbora and then the 6 peppers, as it would take longer for the BB to catch up if that makes sense? Because the BB only grows up to what is needed for the current bioload.

Thank you to everyone... and im sorry if ive worded this rubbishly! :)
Lo1
TOTM Winner
TOTM Winner
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 223 times

You have not said what filters you are using?

When ever I add new fish/shrimp I add Seachem Prime and Stability each day for seven days.

You do not have enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia through the nitrification cycle, excess amounts of ammonia will cause algae blooms.

The combination of Seachem Prime and Stability each day for seven days will help greatly with this.
:swim: :swim2: :swim:

NACD OptiWhite Aquarium 140l,
F Zone Stainless Steel 15l filter,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh daylight,
Eheim powerLED+ fresh plants,
AI Nero 3 Powerhead,
Twinstar Nano Sterilizer,
Co2 Art PRO-SE.
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4258 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

So when did you start your aquariums cycle?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Chris_jennings
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 110 times

If the tank is fully cycled, processing 2ppm of ammonia through to nitrates in 24 hours, then all the stock
can be added at once, doing it over several weeks will just allow some of the munchers to die off.
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5068 times
Been liked: 3427 times

Welcome to the forum. :)
If the cycle has completed, and the nitrates are below 20ppm it should be ok to add shrimp at any time, or you could add a female bristlenose (they do a better algae-clearing job than males). If the BN is big it may think small shrimp are food (they are omnivores), so I would probably get the shrimp before a small BN.
The best algae cleaners I've had are definitely nerite snails though. ;)
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
LSRNSNO

Lo1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:01 am You have not said what filters you are using?

When ever I add new fish/shrimp I add Seachem Prime and Stability each day for seven days.

You do not have enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia through the nitrification cycle, excess amounts of ammonia will cause algae blooms.

The combination of Seachem Prime and Stability each day for seven days will help greatly with this.
Apologies! Im using a shark sicce pro 700 filter and a juwel bioflow m filter .

I've been allowing approx 8hrs daily of tank light to help plant growth, on top of fertiliser and root tabs. The water is still clear, the algae is only on dthe driftwood, a small amount of some plants and a tiny bit of substrate :)
LSRNSNO

Martinspuddle wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:05 am Greetings :] & welcome to AF-UK

So when did you start your aquariums cycle?
Thank you!

I started 4 weeks ago. Ive done daily water tesrs with master kit. Ive used a bottle of turbostart 700 and some established filter media. My ammonia goes from approx 1-2ppm (dr tims dosing concentrations are apparently not overly reliable and following the doaage early on in the cycle i found massove ammonia spikes from following their dose recommendations, so i dose approx 120drops instead of 180 as per 1 drop per litre)

My ammonia will go from dosage to 0 in 24 hours, as does my nitrite. My Nitrate at this time is 40ppm. I have 5ppm in my tap water, and im still dosing ammonia whilst there are no fish, also ensuring the cycle is 100% complete.

As mentioned by another use i forgot to include my filtration; a sicce shark 700 and the juwel bioflow m :)
LSRNSNO

Chris_jennings wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:09 am If the tank is fully cycled, processing 2ppm of ammonia through to nitrates in 24 hours, then all the stock
can be added at once, doing it over several weeks will just allow some of the munchers to die off.
Thank you chris! Just wanted to make sure it wouldnt cause a mini cycle or stress for the fish getting used to new surroundings and new tank mates :)
Martinspuddle
Has liked: 4258 times
Been liked: 3919 times

Is this aquarium of yours planted?
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
LSRNSNO

plankton wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:07 am Welcome to the forum. :)
If the cycle has completed, and the nitrates are below 20ppm it should be ok to add shrimp at any time, or you could add a female bristlenose (they do a better algae-clearing job than males). If the BN is big it may think small shrimp are food (they are omnivores), so I would probably get the shrimp before a small BN.
The best algae cleaners I've had are definitely nerite snails though. ;)
Thanks plankton! Ill have a look into female BNs, its the bristles that draw me into them! I know they can have quite the bioload whoch owas ankther reason for this question originally, as. I didnt want to cause as a mini cycle by adding too many fish or the wrong order of fish.

Thanks kindly! :)