no heater/pump for 2 hours

Just started on your fishy adventures, ask for help in here.
Titchyfeep
Been liked: 12 times

my landlord has just informed me that an electrical safety test needs to be carried out. the electrician has said my power needs to be off for 2 hours. will my fish be ok for that long? i’m concerned they are going to get stressed or the temperature will drop too much. don’t know what to do!
YnotFish
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 11 times

I don't think that the filter or heater being off for 2 hours should be a problem.
As long as your room temperature is not really cold, the water should stay warm for a good while.
If your tank does not have a lid, maybe consider draping something over it to keep the warmth in?

Fingers crossed that it goes well 🤞
Cheers!
YnotFish :cool:
Martinspuddle
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Forum Jester & TOTM Winner
Has liked: 4275 times
Been liked: 3923 times

They'll be OK, although I'd be tempted to do a partial water change afterwards.

What I don't understand is why power needs to be off for two hours. Our tenants have never had the electricity turned off during an annual EPC test.
WARNING - DO NOT BREED, FEED OR PET THE PUDDLE! :dodgy2:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2: :woo: :swim2: :swim2: :swim2:
Bluetaurus
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 76 times

We lost power for 8 hours once when the sub station in our street had an issue. Everything survived just fine.
Superfish home 110 ,Superfish aqua pro 300 filter, + APS hob 500 filter.
Low tech set up.
DuzMano
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Not that we're prone to power cuts here but it's been known. I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175840505752 ... YUQAvD_BwE

That I use with a usb powered air pump that runs the little nano sponge filter with an airstone in inside my tank so if the power does go out for whatever reason then the battery powers the pump so at least there's something keeping things oxygenated. I only have a little tank, 72l, so it should be fine if it's just a short while the power is out. For much larger tanks I guess just get a bigger pump and more airstones lol. The filter is of course too small for permanent sole use but I do have the internal filter that was part of the tank bundle running during times of power.

You could of course just have it running an airstone, but the nano sponge filter seemed a good idea to me so I went with it...
Duz "'Scape Noob" Mano

Duz Mano's Leddy XL
plankton
Super Mod
Super Mod
Has liked: 5086 times
Been liked: 3435 times

Whenever I've had the meters or fuse box changed the power has been off for up to 2 hours, I've also forgotten to switch various plugs back on after water changes.
I have 4 tanks, but not had a problem with power outages.
If at first you don't succeed....
...get someone else to do it! :D

Enjoy your fish, shrimps and snails!
Ian
Titchyfeep
Been liked: 12 times

Martinspuddle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 23:15 pm They'll be OK, although I'd be tempted to do a partial water change afterwards.

What I don't understand is why power needs to be off for two hours. Our tenants have never had the electricity turned off during an annual EPC test.
I didn’t think it need turned off for a constant 2 hours either especially as they conduct live tests as well. I thought they could isolate circuits and do them one at a time. I’ve lived here almost 11 years though and the test has never been done so can’t really refuse. Other problem is probably about 50% of my sockets are really difficult to get to. let the fun and games begin!